|Born||1979 (age 39–40)|
|Alma mater||Rhode Island School of Design |
San Francisco Art Institute
|Website||Official artist website|
Taravat Talepasand (born 1979 in Eugene, Oregon) is an Iranian American contemporary artist and educator based in San Francisco, California. She is best known for her paintings, drawings, and sculptures addressing cultural taboos, displaying a juxtaposition of cultural stereotypes and expressing female empowerment. Talepasand currently holds the title of the chair of the painting department at San Francisco Art Institute (SFAI).
Talepasand received her B.F.A. from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) in 2001 and M.F.A. at the San Francisco Art Institute (SFAI) in 2006. She currently works in the Painting Department at SFAI and in the past has taught at California College of the Arts (CCA).
In the 2014 exhibition, Theory of Survival: Fabrications curated by Taraneh Hemami at Southern Exposure gallery brought together twelve San Francisco Bay Area Iranian-American artists to display work in their own booth, similar to a traditional bazaar. The space allowed for a gathering place for Iranian American artists and allowed for more community dialog. Talepasand's own booth featured souvenir-type items for sale such as t-shirts, magnets and CDs, highlighting the relationship between consumer culture and the arts but also addressing Orientalism. Artists participating in the exhibition included; Hushidar Mortezaie, Morehshin Allahyari, Haleh Niazmand, Ala Ebtekar, Sanaz Mazinani, Ali Dadgar and Gelare Khoshgozaran.
Her work has been featured in Art in America, The Huffington Post, New American Paintings, Art Papers, The Boston Globe, SOMA Magazine and many more. Talepasand has exhibited her work in United States, Europe, and the Middle East. Talepasand was one of forty artists selected by the Orange County Museum of Art for the 2010 California Biennial.
- "Biography: Taravat Talepasand". OneArt.org, platform for contemporary art from Asia, Africa and Latin America. 2013. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Taravat Talepasand". Beautiful/Decay. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- Demarias, Charles (2018-06-06). "Talepasand takes on pleasure, religion and Iran at Jack Fischer Gallery". SFChronicle.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
She is now the chair of the painting department at the San Francisco Art Institute. (Full disclosure: She was appointed to the SFAI faculty well after my tenure as president there.)
- "Taravat Talepasand". California College of the Arts (CCA). Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "SFAI Graduate Admissions Viewbook". San Francisco Art Institute. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "SFAI 2012 MFA/MA Art and Ideas". San Francisco Art Institute (SFAI). Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "TARAVAT TALEPASAND". SFAI. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Taraneh Hemami Creates a Market of Iranian Dissent at Southern Exposure". KQED Arts. 2014-09-17. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "An Iranian-American Artist Revisits Images from the 1979 Revolution". Hyperallergic. Hyperallergic Media, Inc. 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Taravat Talepasand News". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Culture Monster: Orange County Museum of Art announces artists in the 2010 California Biennial". LA Times. 2010-05-20. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Westoxicated - Taravat Talepasand". FAMSF Explore the Art. 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2018-11-26.