|Cover artist||Jason Felix|
|Series||Legacy of the Force|
|November 28, 2006|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Tempest is a science fiction novel by American writer by Troy Denning, released in November 2006, in both paperback and hardcover edition. It is the third novel in the Legacy of the Force series, taking place some 40 years after the original Star Wars trilogy.
Civil war threatens the unity of the Galactic Alliance. To ensure financial stability, the Alliance wants more control in the powerful Corellian systems. This involves control over the Centerpoint Station, a powerful artifact that is capable, in the right hands, of destroying entire planets. The Corellian systems desire more independence than the Alliance is willing to let them have.
Han and Leia Solo anger their families and friends by allying themselves with the Corellian insurgents. The Corellian government send the Solos on a diplomatic mission to the powerful Hapes Consortium, but Han and Leia are outraged when they discover a plan to buy Consortium support by murdering the pro-Alliance queen Tenel Ka and her daughter Allana, who is secretly Han and Leia's granddaughter.
The Solos race to solve the situation and save the intended victims. Neither the queen or her daughter are killed, but the Solos are now the number one suspects in the assassination attempt.
Meanwhile, Jacen Solo's dark side powers grow stronger under the Dark Jedi Lumiya. As such, the Galactic Alliance Guard, which he commands, grows more powerful and corrupt. Lumiya is encouraging Jacen to make a sacrifice, by killing an important family member; this would "balance the Force ". As Jacen goes closer to the dark side, his influence over his potential apprentice, Ben Skywalker, grows stronger.
Various characters come together over the conflict. Luke, secretly betrayed by Jacen, nearly loses his life in a duel with Lumiya and the wayward Twi'lek Jedi Alema Rar. Han and Leia, on the run, literally come under fire from their own son, who is commanding the Star Destroyer Anakin Solo. They barely escape with their lives, though the Millennium Falcon is shot clean through and Leia's friends, her two Noghri bodyguards, are killed. Regardless, the traitors in Tenel Ka's Hapes Consortium and their Corellian allies fail their mission to overthrow the Queen Mother, and with Jacen's fleet's success in defending Tenel Ka, the two of them secretly embrace as lovers before he leaves her once again.
- Allana; Chume'da, heir to the Hapan Throne (human female)
- Alema Rar; Jedi Knight (Twi'lek female)
- Ben Skywalker; junior GAG member (human male)
- C-3PO; protocol droid
- Dur Gejjen; Five Worlds Prime Minister and Corellian Chief of State (human male)
- Han Solo; captain, Millennium Falcon (human male)
- Jacen Solo; Jedi Knight (human male)
- Jagged Fel; bounty hunter (human male)
- Jaina Solo; Jedi Knight (human female)
- Lady Galney; chamberlain (human female)
- Lalu Morwan; former flight surgeon (human female)
- Leia Organa Solo; Jedi Knight (human female)
- Luke Skywalker; Grand Master (human male)
- Lumiya; Dark Lady of the Sith (human female)
- Mara Jade Skywalker; Jedi Master (human female)
- Nashtah; assassin (human/unknown female)
- Nek Bwua'tu; Galactic Alliance admiral (Bothan male)
- R2-D2; astromech droid
- Tenel Ka; Hapan Queen Mother (human female)
- Zekk; Jedi Knight (human male)