Temple Tifereth-Israel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Coordinates: 41°28′37″N 81°29′44″W / 41.47694°N 81.49556°W / 41.47694; -81.49556 Temple Tifereth-Israel is a Reform Jewish synagogue in Beachwood, Ohio, a Cleveland suburb. It was founded in 1850 as Tifereth Israel (Glory of Israel) and was a founding member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now the Union for Reform Judaism). The main facility is on Shaker Boulevard in Beachwood. The congregation's former home known as The Temple in University Circle, Cleveland, is still used for special events and life cycle celebrations.

For 46 years (1917-1963) this congregation was led by the renowned Rabbi Abba Hillel Silver and was referred to as "Silver's Temple."

It currently functions as one of several Jewish centers of community with a religious school and services as well. It contains a library and a museum, as well as several chapels and sanctuaries. People hold B'nei Mitzvot at the Temple and classes are held as well. A thriving Jewish community exists in Cleveland's eastern suburbs, so the Temple's membership of more than 1,500 households continues to grow.

The Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage is located next to The Temple in Beachwood and houses part of the Temple Museum's collection.

External links[edit]