Texas Park Road 30
|Balmorhea State Park Road|
PR 30 highlighted in red
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length||0.277 mi (0.446 km)|
|South end||Balmorhea State Park|
|North end||SH 17 in Toyahvale|
Park Road 30 (PR 30), also known as Balmorhea State Park Road, is a short Park Road located in the western region of the U.S. state of Texas. The route is 0.277 miles (0.446 km) long, and connects Balmorhea State Park to State Highway 17 (SH 17) in Toyahvale in southwestern Reeves County. The route is made up of several individual drives within the park. The route was first built by the CCC in the mid-1930s, and was designated as PR 30 in 1941. The highway is maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).
The main roadway of PR 30 begins at the circulating drive around the parking lot in front of the concession building of the swimming pool at San Solomon Springs. The route proceeds to the north with a spur branching off to the east to the San Solomon Springs Courts before passing the park headquarters near the terminus of the road at SH 17.
An extension of PR 30 begins at the entrance to the San Solomon Springs parking lot and proceeds to the east to the park campground. At the campground, the route ends as a circular drive accessing individual camping spaces and a viewing exhibit for a reconstructed desert wetland. The circular drive is bisected by another drive with bath facilities and campsites for recreational vehicles.
The main portion of PR 30 from the parking lot at the swimming pool to SH 17 including the spur to the San Solomon Springs Courts was constructed between 1935 and 1940 by Company 1856 of the Civilian Conservation Corps. An 0.66-mile (1.06 km) long stretch of the spur was designated as PR 30 on April 23, 1941. On May 30, 1961, the modern routing of PR 30 was designated, including the eastward extension toward the campgrounds.
|0.000||0.000||SH 17 – Balmorhea||Southern terminus|
|0.277||0.446||Park campgrounds||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "Park Road No. 30". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Balmorhea State Park (PDF) (Map). Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. 2007. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012). Texas County Mapbook (PDF) (Map) (2012 ed.). 1:120,000. Texas Department of Transportation. p. 106. OCLC 867856197. Retrieved April 15, 2012.[dead link]
- Staff. "TPWD Park: Balmorhea State Park". The Look of Nature: Designing Texas State Parks During the Great Depression. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- Statewide Planning Map (Map). Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division. Texas Department of Transportation. Archived from the original on October 23, 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2012.