Texas State Highway 304
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length||42.935 mi (69.097 km)|
|South end||SH 97 northeast of Gonzales|
|North end||SH 21 / SH 71 in Bastrop|
SH 304 begins at a junction with SH 97. It heads north from this junction to an intersection with I-10. The highway continues to the north to an intersection with US 90. Heading towards the north, the highway continues to an intersection FM 713. The highway continues to the northeast to an intersection with FM 535. It continues to the north to a junction with FM 2571. SH 304 reaches its northern terminus at SH 21 and SH 71 in Bastrop.
SH 304 was designated on December 1, 1938 along its current route. The number was not assigned until January 23, 1939. On March 29, 1957 SH 304 was proposed along new construction from its end back then to FM 1319, and FM 1319 from FM 535 to SH 71 was cancelled and combined with SH 304.
The fictional Gulf Oil gas station/barbecue joint seen in the 1974 cult classic horror movie, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, is located on the highway south of Bastrop at 1073 SH 304, Bastrop, TX 78602. In the movie, the establishment remains nameless but is donned with a "Coca-Cola/We Slaughter Barbecue" sign.
Today, the dilapidated grocery store (and former gas station ‒ its two gas pumps as seen in the movie having since been removed) sits unused and has been closed down for several years. Before its closure, it was known as Bilbo's Texas Landmark and before that as Ryan's Hills Prairie Grocery. The location is now in the process of being restored and turned into a horror resort with a Texas chili kitchen, music venue and cabins. The ownership team is Roy Rose an Ohio entrepreneur an avid Texas chainsaw massacre fan and Ari Lehman the first Jason in the Friday the thirteenth franchise.
|Bastrop||SH 21 / SH 71|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway No. 304". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Google (2008-03-14). "overview map of SH 304" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676253.pdf. Missing or empty
- "1073 SH 304, Bastrop, TX 78602". google.com. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Gas Station/BBQ Shack". texaschainsawmassacre.net. Retrieved January 7, 2013.