Texas State Highway 46
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length||71.811 mi (115.569 km)|
|West end||SH 16 near Pipe Creek|
| I-10 / US 87 in Boerne|
I-35 in New Braunfels
|East end||SH 123 in Seguin|
State Highway 46, or SH 46, is a 71.4-mile (114.9 km) state highway in the U.S. state of Texas that runs from State Highway 16 east of Bandera to the intersection of SH 123 and SH 123 Business just south of Seguin.
SH 46 was originally designated on October 20, 1919 as a route from New Braunfels north to Johnson City. On July 13, 1925, the route had been shortened, with the section north of Spring Branch transferred to SH 108. This alignment of SH 46 only consisted of the portion from U.S. Highway 281 (US 281) to US 81 in New Braunfels. US 81 no longer exists today in favor of Interstate 35 (I-35) and is known as a business loop of I-35. On July 16, 1928, it extended to Seguin. On July 15, 1935, the section from New Braunfels to Seguin was cancelled. On October 26, 1967, the highway was relocated in New Braunfels to the east along the alignment of Loop 337 (Loop 337), but still had an eastern terminus at US 81. The original alignment in New Braunfels was redesignated as Loop 453, but to be signed as a business route of SH 46. On June 21, 1990, the designation of this segment was officially changed to Business 46. On February 26, 1968, SH 46 was extended to the south from US 81 to I-35, replacing part of Farm to Market Road 25. On September 28, 1988, the highway was extended at both ends, extending the eastern end south replacing Farm to Market Road 25 from I-35 to FM 78 and then replacing part of Spur 351 from FM 78 to I-10 in Seguin. The western terminus was extended to the west replacing Ranch to Market Road 475 from US 281 to SH 16. A portion of this route had been FM 1719 which had been combined with RM 475 in 1951. On May 14, 1990, the highway was extended to its current alignment when it was extended south from I-10 to SH 123 replacing the remainder of Spur 351.
Spur 351 was designated on June 30, 1961 from FM 25 and FM 78 to US 90A. On August 4, 1970, Spur 351 extended south to SH 123. On September 28, 1988, the section of Spur 351 from FM 78 to I-10 was transferred to SH 46. On May 14, 1990, the remainder of Spur 351 was cancelled and mileage was transferred to SH 46.
SH 46 begins at its western terminus at SH 16, east of Bandera in Bandera County. The highway heads to the northeast, crossing over into Kendall County on its way to Boerne where it intersects with I-10 and US 87. SH 46 carries the street name of Bandera Road from I-10 until US 87. At US 87, there is a short break in the highway with SH 46 continuing again further north with the name River Road. SH 46 leaves the city limits of Boerne to the east and follows an east-northeast routing through rural Kendall County. An intersection with FM 3351 occurs just prior to heading into Comal County. Continuing to the east, SH 46 passes FM 2696 before coming into the city of Bulverde. In Bulverde, SH 46 intersects with US 281 at a diamond interchange, which provides access to San Antonio to the south. The highway continues to the east-southeast, passing several farm-to-market roads with FM 3159 and RM 2722 providing access to Canyon Lake. As it enters New Braunfels, Texas, it intersects and becomes concurrent with Loop 337, providing the northern and eastern arcs of the loop around New Braunfels. In New Braunfels, the highway passes over the Guadalupe River and intersects I-35. Continuing to the south-southeast, it heads towards Seguin as it passes into Guadalupe County and roughly parallels the Guadalupe River to the east. In Seguin, SH 46 passes I-10 and US 90 before ending at SH 123 just south of Seguin.
|Bandera||||0.0||0.0||SH 16 – Bandera, San Antonio||Western terminus of SH 46|
|Kendall||Boerne||11.0||17.7||I-10 / US 87 – Comfort, San Antonio||I-10 exit 540.|
Bus. US 87 south (Main Street) – San Antonio
|West end of US 87 Bus. overlap|
Bus. US 87 north (Main Street) to I-10 west – Fredericksburg
|East end of US 87 Bus. overlap|
|Bergheim||22.5||36.2||FM 3351 to I-10 – Kendalia, Fair Oaks Ranch|
|Comal||||25.4||40.9||PR 31 north – Guadalupe River State Park|
|Bulverde||32.75||52.71||US 281 – Johnson City, San Antonio||Interchange|
|||37.15||59.79||FM 3159 east to FM 311 – Startzville, Canyon Lake|
|Canyon Lake||38.5||62.0||FM 311 north – Startzville, Smithson Valley|
|||41.1||66.1||FM 3009 south (Natural Bridge Caverns Road) – Garden Ridge, Schertz|
|New Braunfels||47.5||76.4||RM 2722||Interchange|
|49.5||79.7||FM 1863 south|
Bus. SH 46 east / Loop 337 south to I-35 south – New Braunfels
|Interchange; west end of Loop 337 overlap|
|53.6||86.3||Rock Street – Gruene||Interchange; eastbound exit and westbound entrance|
|53.67||86.37||Gruene Road – Gruene||Interchange; no westbound entrance|
|56.0||90.1||BL I-35 – Austin, San Antonio|
|56.25||90.53||I-35 – Austin, San Antonio||I-35 exit 189; east end of Loop 337 overlap.|
|56.45||90.85||FM 1101 north – Zorn||Access to New Braunfels Surgery Center|
|Guadalupe||59.0||95.0||FM 758 – New Braunfels Regional Airport|
|Seguin||66.2||106.5||FM 78 – Lake McQueeney||Interchange|
|66.5||107.0||I-10 / SH 130 – Houston, San Antonio||I-10 exit 607.|
|67.15||108.07||US 90 (Kingsbury Street) – Seguin, San Antonio|
Alt. US 90 (Court Street) – Seguin, Gonzales
FM 725 to US 90 / Bus. SH 123 – Seguin
|70.5||113.5||FM 467 – Seguin, Olmos|
SH 123 / Bus. SH 123 north – Stockdale
|Eastern terminus of SH 46|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
New Braunfels business route
|Length||3.376 mi (5.433 km)|
|Existed||June 21, 1990–present|
The highway begins at an interchange with SH 46/Loop 337 and runs in a southward direction along Walnut Avenue. Bus. SH 46-C turns towards the east after turning left onto Landa Street. Just outside of downtown, the highway merges onto Seguin Avenue and runs through the central business district of New Braunfels. Near the Comal County Courthouse, Bus. SH 46-C runs along a traffic circle, known locally as Main Plaza, where the highway intersects San Antonio Street. Bus. SH 46-C continues to run southeast along Seguin Street before ending at an intersection with BL I-35/FM 725.
- Junction list
|0.0||0.0||SH 46 / Loop 337 to I-35 – Boerne||Interchange|
|2.2||3.5||San Antonio Street||Traffic circle|
|3.3||5.3||BL I-35 (Elliot Knox Boulevard) / FM 725 south (Seguin Street) – San Marcos, San Antonio|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway No. 46". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676811.pdf. Missing or empty
- Texas Department of Transportation. "U.S. Highway No. 81 Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation. "Business Interstate Highway No. 35-H Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673773.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673871.pdf. Missing or empty
- Texas Department of Transportation. "State Highway Loop No. 453 Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation. "Business State Highway No. 46-C Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation. "Farm to Market Road No. 25 Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Texas Department of Transportation. "Farm to Market Road No. 475 Designation File". Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Google (2008-02-13). "overview map of State Highway 46" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Overview Map of State Highway 46 Distances Between Intersections (Map). Google Maps.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "Business State Highway No. 46-C". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway Loop No. 453". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Google (July 11, 2017). "Overview Map of Bus. SH 46-C" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
Media related to Texas State Highway 46 at Wikimedia Commons