Texas State Highway 51
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length||5.758 mi (9.267 km)|
|West end||SH 207 near Spearman|
|East end||FM 281 / FM 760 south of Spearman|
SH 51 begins at SH 207 southeast of Spearman and travels east through unincorporated Hansford County approximately 5.7 miles (9.2 km). It is a two-lane route for its entire length, and has no intersections with other state-maintained routes until its terminus at FM 281, which continues to the east and south, and FM 760, which travels north to Spearman.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The original SH 51 was designated on August 21, 1923 as a route from Sagerton to Crowell, replacing a portion of SH 28. On June 15, 1926, it extended north to the Oklahoma state line. On December 21, 1926, it extended to Longworth. This extension was cancelled by 1929. The south end was modified several times. It was cancelled on January 19, 1932, being replaced by SH 16.
The second SH 51 was designated on April 5, 1932 as a route from Dalhart northward to the Oklahoma state line. It was extended south to McCamey on July 16, 1934, replacing SH 143 from Channing to Meadow and the majority of SH 137 from Meadow to McCamey. On July 15, 1935, the section from Channing to Levelland was cancelled. On December 22, 1936, this section was restored. On November 23, 1937, SH 51 was rerouted to bypass Meadow. On February 4, 1941, the section of SH 51 from the Hockley/Terry County line to Brownfield was cancelled, creating a gap. On February 28, 1941, the section from the Hockley/Terry County Line to the Hockley/Lamb County Line was cancelled, increasing the gap. On May 14, 1941, the section from the Hockley/Terry County line to Brownfield was restored, partially closing the gap. On September 23, 1941, the section from Levelland to the Hockley/Terry County Line was restored, closing the gap further. On April 28, 1942, it extended south to Sheffield. On September 22, 1942, to section of SH 51 from Levelland to the Hockley/Lamb County Line was restored, closing the gap. On October 24, 1956, the highway was rerouted southwest over FM 1214 from US 290 to US 90 and SH 227 from US 90 to the entrance of Big Bend National Park. The section from Rankin to Sheffield was transferred to SH 349. This entire route was canceled on August 28, 1958 when US 385 was transferred to the west.
The current SH 51 was designated on January 29, 1974; its routing has remained unchanged.
The entire route is in Hansford County.
|||0.0||0.0||SH 207 – Spearman, Stinnett||Western terminus|
|||5.7||9.2||FM 281 / FM 760 – Spearman||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway No. 51". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved June 15, 2010.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2014). Texas County Mapbook (PDF) (Map) (2014 ed.). 1:120,000. Texas Department of Transportation. p. 142. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2014). Texas County Mapbook (PDF) (Map) (2014 ed.). 1:120,000. Texas Department of Transportation. p. 169. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676940.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676961.pdf. Missing or empty
- "Minutes of the 73rd Meeting of the Texas State Highway Commission (August 21, 1923)" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673812.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673853.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673871.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673889.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003673909.pdf. Missing or empty
- Google (January 7, 2011). "Overview map of Texas State Highway 51 Distances Between Interchanges" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved January 7, 2011.