Texas State Highway Spur 53
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length||1.576 mi (2.536 km)|
|Existed||May 21, 1980–by 2018|
|West end||Near southern entrance to UTSA|
|East end||I-10 / US 87|
Spur 53 provided access from Interstate 10 to the southern side of the University of Texas at San Antonio. State maintenance began along UTSA Boulevard at a point approximately 200 ft (61 m) west of the main southern entrance of UTSA at Edward Ximenes Avenue. The route travelled east, passing the headquarters of Valero Energy Corporation, before the Spur 53 designation ended at Interstate 10 Exit #557. UTSA Boulevard continued to the east under local jurisdiction.
A previous route known as Spur 53 was designated on September 25, 1939, connecting with US 81 in the town of West. This designation was canceled on December 1, 1953, when the mileage for that route was transferred to FM 2114.
The next route was designated on May 21, 1980. Currently, TxDOT has plans to increase capacity by doubling the number of lanes in each direction, adding a median, sidewalks, and bicycle lanes. Construction is set to begin in early 2015. Upon issuance of the Project Acceptance Letter for project CSJ 2230-02-004, Spur 53 was cancelled. It was to be cancelled on December 18, 2014.
|0.0||0.0||UTSA Boulevard||Western terminus and continuation; state maintenance ends|
|0.1||0.16||Edward Ximenes Avenue||UTSA main southern entrance|
|0.3||0.48||James Bauerle Drive||UTSA entrance|
|0.6||0.97||Valero Way||Entrance to Valero Energy Corporation headquarters|
|1.6||2.6||I-10 / US 87 (McDermott Freeway) – Downtown San Antonio||I-10 exit 557; eastern terminus; state maintenance ends, continues as UTSA Blvd.|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "State Highway Spur No. 53". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved January 2, 2011.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2014). Texas County Mapbook (PDF) (Map) (2014 ed.). 1:120,000. Texas Department of Transportation. p. 339. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division (n.d.). "Farm to Market Road No. 2114". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "TXDOT" (PDF). TXDOT commission. Retrieved January 4, 2015.
- Google (March 13, 2011). "Overview map of Texas State Highway Spur 53 Distances Between Interchanges" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved March 13, 2011.