Thamesmead Extension Scheme
Thamesmead is a proposed London Overground and/or Docklands Light Railway (DLR) railway extension that could be built in the future if approved. This was revealed in 2015 as a possible extension of the Gospel Oak to Barking line from Barking in east London, north from the river, to Barking Riverside and across the river via the Belvedere Crossing to Thamesmead. In December 2016 the Barking Riverside extension was approved and is expected to open by 2021, whilst a further extension to Thamesmead has not yet been approved.
In October 2016 Mayor Sadiq Khan announced plans for a DLR extension to Thamesmead from Gallions Reach and an extension of the London Overground to Abbey Wood Gallions Reach is one stop from the terminus Beckton, so it would create a new cut-off branch from Gallions Reach. This idea was first brought on up on 8 December 2015, which had a proposal to extend it to Thamesmead and on to Abbey Wood.
The Thamesmead district, which is on the border of the Greenwich and Bexley boroughs, has poor transport links. The estate was built from the 1960s and despite proposals for a train station, including the Jubilee Line Extension proposal in the 1970s, plans never went through. Buses that connect it to Abbey Wood station are at full capacity. It is also in the centre of a 15-mile gap in river crossings. An extension to Thamesmead is thought to have great potential, especially as much of the area is being regenerated and new homes are being built.
The London Overground Extension Options Include the new route extending from Barking Riverside to a new Thamesmead Central before heading to either Abbey Wood, Plumstead & Woolwich Arsenal or Belvedere. The DLR extension options include extending the route from Gallions Reach to either Armada Riverside or Thamesmead West then heads to a new Thamesmead Central station before heading to a new station at Thamesmead Moorings. The route would then go to Yarnton Way before heading to either Abbey Wood or Belvedere.
- "Thamesmead & Abbey Wood Extension". Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Sadiq Khan announces plans to extend DLR to Thamesmead". News Shopper. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Mayor commits to building greener, public transport-focused crossings". London City Hall. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Vision for East London 8 new crossings". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Have your say on new river crossings in east and southeast London - Transport for London - Citizen Space". consultations.tfl.gov.uk. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "DLR extension - Peabody". Peabody. Retrieved 16 April 2018.