The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge!
|The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge!|
Dr. Doom's Revenge cover
|Publisher(s)||Empire Software and Medalist International (UK), Paragon Software Corporation (U.S.)|
|Designer(s)||Mark E. Seremet|
|Platform(s)||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, ZX Spectrum|
The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge! is a side-scrolling video game starring Marvel Comics' superheroes Spider-Man and Captain America battling a host of supervillains led by Doctor Doom. The player alternately controls Spider-Man and Captain America; the character being controlled switches after each battle.
The game featured an assortment of Marvel Comics supervillains through the course of the game, many of whom are relatively minor characters in the comic books: Eduardo Lobo, Grey Gargoyle, Machete, Boomerang, Oddball, Electro, Hobgoblin, Rhino, Batroc the Leaper, Zaran, Rattan (who was created specifically for the game), and finally Doctor Doom himself. Among the bosses included is also the Hulk (later revealed to be an illusion by Mysterio). The game's manual provided biographies on each character in a style similar to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, and information about each character was used as a form of copy protection.
Computer Gaming World gave Doctor Doom's Revenge a mixed review, praising the graphics but noting the game loaded and played very slowly. The review also noted the game was extremely linear, and controls were unresponsive. Compute! liked the PC version's graphics and sound card audio, but the reviewer—a fan of Marvel Comics—stated that the story was not as thought-provoking as the source material. The magazine described the Commodore 64 version as "a perfect example of a great idea that just doesn't cut it ... the comics are more complex and thus more interesting", calling fights "disappointing" despite the "great" graphics.
In 1996, Computer Gaming World declared Spiderman/Captain America vs. Doctor Doom the 27th-worst computer game ever released.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Marvel Comics also released a comic book that was only available in the game package. It illustrated the plot leading up to Spider-Man and Captain America's mission to stop Dr. Doom.
- "Amazing Spider-Man And Captain America in Doctor Doom's Revenge!, The : Hall Of Light - The database of Amiga games". hol.abime.net. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- Wilson, David (January 1989), "You Don't Mess Around with "Doom"!", Computer Gaming World
- Ferrell, Keith (November 1989). "Dr. Doom's Revenge!". Compute!. p. 116. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Randall, Neil (December 1989). "64/128". Compute!. pp. 12, 14.
- Staff (November 1996). "150 Best (and 50 Worst) Games of All Time". Computer Gaming World (148): 63–65, 68, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80, 84, 88, 90, 94, 98.
- The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge! at MobyGames
- The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge! at SpectrumComputing.co.uk
- Game entry at Giant Bomb