The Benefactor (2015 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andrew Renzi|
|Written by||Andrew Renzi|
|Distributed by||Samuel Goldwyn Films|
|Box office||$2.1 million|
The Benefactor (originally titled Franny) is a 2015 American drama film written and directed by Andrew Renzi. Starring Richard Gere, Dakota Fanning, Theo James, and Clarke Peters, the film premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 17, 2015. It was released in the United States on January 15, 2016, in a limited release and through video on demand by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
A wealthy man (Richard Gere) feels responsible for the deaths of two married friends, leading him to ingratiate himself into the lives of their daughter (Dakota Fanning) and her husband (Theo James). But their friendship takes a dark turn when he grows obsessed with the couple.
- Richard Gere as Francis "Franny" Watts
- Dakota Fanning as Olivia
- Theo James as Luke
- Clarke Peters as Dr. Romano
- Brian Anthony Wilson as Jesse
- Dylan Baker as Bobby
- Cheryl Hines as Mia
- Dennisha Pratt as Sharon
- Lyssa Robberts as Molly
- Roy James Wilson as Charlie
- Tibor Feldman as Dr. Sam
- Matthew and Michael Daisher as Toby
In August 2013, it was announced that Richard Gere had been cast to portray the role of Franny, a philanthropist, with Andrew Renzi writing and directing. In September 2013, it was announced that Dakota Fanning and Theo James had joined, portraying the roles of Olivia and Luke respectively.
The Benefactor premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 17, 2015. On May 1, 2015, Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired U.S distribution rights. It went onto screen at the Champs-Élysées Film Festival on June 13, 2015. The film was released in Italy on December 23, 2015, under its original name Franny. It was released in the United States on January 15, 2016, in a limited release and through video on demand.
The film received negative reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes it achieves a score of 25%, an average rating of 4.2/10, sampled from 52 reviews. The consensus states: "The Benefactor has Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning, but no clear idea of what to do with either of them, resulting in a drama that never comes anywhere near its intriguing potential." Metacritic, gives a rating of 39 out of 100, based on 16 reviews, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "THE BENEFACTOR (15)". British Board of Film Classification. February 23, 2016. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "The Benefactor (2016) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. January 17, 2016. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "'Franny': Tribeca Review". The Hollywood Reporter. April 18, 2015. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (November 19, 2015). "Watch: First Trailer For 'The Benefactor' Starring Richard Gere, Dakota Fanning, And Theo James". Indiewire.com. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (August 29, 2013). "Richard Gere to Star in Indie Drama 'Franny'". Variety.com. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- Team, The Deadline (September 25, 2013). "Dakota Fanning, Theo James Board Richard Gere's 'Franny". Deadline.com. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (May 1, 2015). "Richard Gere Movie 'Franny' Acquired By Samuel Goldwyn Films". Deadline. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Franny". ChampsElyseesFilmFestival.com. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- "The Benefactor Movie Poster #2". ImpAwards.com. November 23, 2015. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- "The Benefactor (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- "The Benefactor". Metacritic. Retrieved January 11, 2016.