The Cheesecake Factory
The front entrance of a Cheesecake Factory in downtown Seattle, Washington, 2009
|Traded as||NASDAQ: CAKE|
S&P 400 Component
|Founded||1972. As a bakery: |
Los Angeles, California, U.S. (1971)
As a restaurant:
Beverly Hills, California, U.S. (1978)
Number of locations
(Chairman and CEO)
|Products||Cheesecakes, burgers, pizza, pasta, steaks, sandwiches|
|Revenue||$2.276 billion (2016)|
|$200.993 million (2016)|
|$139.494 million (2016)|
|Total assets||$1.293 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||$603.207 million (2016)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||The Cheesecake Factory Bakery Cafe, LLC. |
Grand Lux Cafe, LLC.
RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen, LLC.
Social Monk Asian Kitchen
The Cheesecake Factory, Inc. is an American restaurant company and distributor of cheesecakes based in the United States. The company operates 210 full-service restaurants: 194 under The Cheesecake Factory brand, 14 under the Grand Lux Cafe brand and 2 under the RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen brand. The Cheesecake Factory also operates two bakery production facilities—in Calabasas, California, and Rocky Mount, North Carolina—and licenses two bakery-based menus for other food service operators under The Cheesecake Factory Bakery Cafe marque. Its cheesecakes and other baked goods can also be found in the cafes of many Barnes & Noble stores.
David M. Overton, the company's founder, opened the first Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Beverly Hills, California, in 1978. The restaurant established the future chain's pattern of featuring an eclectic menu, large portions, and signature cheesecakes.
Founding and early years
The Cheesecake Factory was founded by Evelyn Overton. Evelyn first decided to open a business after making a cheesecake for her husband's employer in 1949. She opened a small cheesecake shop in Detroit, Michigan in the late 1950s, but eventually gave it up in order to raise her two children. She continued to supply cakes to several local restaurants through a kitchen in her basement. In 1972, Oscar and Evelyn moved to the Woodland Hills area of Los Angeles where they opened a wholesale bakery, in which they produced cheesecakes and other desserts for local restaurants.
In 1978, Evelyn's son David opened a small salad-and-sandwich restaurant in Beverly Hills that sold 10 varieties of cheesecakes on a one-page menu. In 1983, he opened a second restaurant in Marina del Rey. By 1987, the Beverly Hills location had expanded into a 78-seat restaurant and was experiencing great financial success. This led to the opening of a third, larger location in Redondo Beach, which was eventually renovated into a 300-seat, 21,000-square-foot (2,000 m2) location. By the end of the 1980s, The Cheesecake Factory's one-page menu had expanded and the restaurant offered additional fast-food and short-order items.
Expansion beyond Southern California
The 1990s saw the opening of the first Cheesecake Factory restaurant outside of Southern California. The new restaurant was located in Washington, D.C. The Cheesecake Factory was incorporated in 1992 and went public in September 1993. David Overton planned to open 3-4 units a year in the hopes of generating 25% a year increase in sales.
The company began changing its menu twice a year and added items including steaks, seafood, and vegetarian dishes. The company continued to open new restaurants and by 1995 was ranked 11th in the United States.[clarification needed] As of April 2013, The Cheesecake Factory operated 162 restaurants under The Cheesecake Factory name in 36 states. Plaza Las Américas in San Juan, Puerto Rico, opened its first Cheesecake Factory on August 28, 2013.
The company used to operate one self-service, limited-menu express food service operation under The Cheesecake Factory marque inside the DisneyQuest family entertainment center in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The Cheesecake Factory has expanded into international markets by both licensing agreements for other companies to operate franchises, and by corporate ownership. The first store outside the United States was opened at The Dubai Mall in August 2012 as a franchise via a licensing agreement. The first Canadian location was opened at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto in November 2017.
On January 25, 2011, the company expanded into the Middle East in a partnership with Kuwaiti retail franchising company M.H. Alshaya Co. The 300-seat restaurant opened on August 16, 2012 at The Dubai Mall. This is the Cheesecake Factory's first location outside the United States.
In May 2014, The Cheesecake Factory announced that they would open the first Cheesecake Factory in East Asia. The first East Asian Cheesecake Factory opened in Disneytown in Pudong, Shanghai, China on June 16, 2016.
As of May, 2018, the Cheesecake Factory has nine restaurants in the Middle East: three in Dubai ~ Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, and Jumeirah Beach Residence. three in Kuwait ~ Avenues Mall (which was the 160th Cheesecake Factory opening), Arabella and Sidra, two in Saudi Arabia ~ Riyadh and Jeddah, and lastly one in the Yas Mall in Abu Dhabi. On December 1, 2015, The Cheesecake Factory opened its eighth Middle East branch at the Verdun Shopping Center in Beirut, Lebanon. The opening was attended by many of The Cheesecake Factory management including managers from the US and Dubai.The Cheesecake Factory opened also made its first appearance in Doha, Qatar, by opening in the Mall of Qatar and further opened two more branches in Villagio and Doha Festival City.
On April 12, 2017, the company announced that it is expanding into Canada with the first location at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto, Ontario. At more than 10,400 sq. ft, the new location opened in November 2017.
The Cheesecake Factory Bakery Cafe operates two bakery production facilities in Calabasas Hills, California and Rocky Mount, North Carolina, and licenses two bakery-based menus to other food service operators. This division operates in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Grand Lux Cafe
David Overton designed the Grand Lux Cafe, an upscale restaurant for The Venetian hotel and casino in Las Vegas. The restaurant is modeled after Italian, French, and Austrian styles. The Cafe offers, in addition to American and European-style food, Thai, Malaysian, Caribbean cuisine, and others. The Cheesecake Factory operates fourteen Grand Lux Cafe restaurants located in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Each Grand Lux Cafe features an on-site bakery which produces a selection of signature bake-to-order desserts (which take up to 30 minutes), and a full-service craft bar.
Most of the restaurants feature sumptuous fabrics and textures and polished marble floors and table tops. Hand-blown glass fixtures and intricate mosaics. The four most recent Grand Lux Cafe restaurants have moved in a new design direction, incorporating inlaid leather seating, warm wood paneling, colorful drum lamp shades and roaring fireplaces to create a cleaner modern look.
RockSugar Southeast Asian Kitchen
RockSugar Southeast Asian Kitchen is a contemporary Asian-fusion restaurant which opened on June 19, 2008, at Century City in Los Angeles. David Overton excluded Chinese and Japanese cuisines from the menu, as these are served at the Grand Lux and Cheesecake Factory restaurants. A second location opened in Oakbrook, IL in November 2017.
Fox Restaurant Concepts
On July 31, 2019, the Cheesecake Factory announced it had reached an agreement to buy Fox Restaurant Concepts for $308 million in cash at closing and another $45 million due over the course of the next four years.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2016)
In addition to cheesecake, the menu also offers starters and entrees, such as chicken, pasta, and burgers.
The Cheesecake Factory has been criticized for featuring large servings of high-calorie and high-fat foods, and a corresponding lack of healthy menu options. For these reasons, the chain was dubbed the "worst family restaurant in America" for 2010 by Men's Health magazine. The average sandwich at the restaurant contains 1,400 calories. In 2013, the Center for Science in the Public Interest gave a better understanding toward some of the food found at The Cheesecake Factory, including the "Crispy Chicken Costoletta" that has more calories (2,610) than a 12-piece bucket of fried chicken from KFC and The Cheesecake Factory's "Bistro Shrimp Pasta" dish, which had more calories than any other entrée from a national chain restaurant at 3,120 calories, with 89 grams of saturated fat. The United States Department of Agriculture's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion states in its dietary guidelines that a typical female adult should consume about 2,000 calories (males 2,500) and no more than 10% of saturated fat per day. In an attempt to offer healthier, lower-calorie meal options, The Cheesecake Factory created a "Skinnylicious" menu that features a variety of cocktails, salads, appetizers, and specialty dishes such as lemon-garlic shrimp and grilled salmon.
The restaurant was depicted as the workplace on The Big Bang Theory where Penny and Bernadette were employed before meeting their respective husbands Leonard Hofstadter and Howard Wolowitz. The eatery served as the gang's hangout when not in the lunchroom at Caltech.
- "The Cheesecake Factory - Investor Relations - Annual Reports". Archived from the original on 15 July 2017. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- Ruggless, Ron (Feb 23, 2019). "Cheesecake Factory's fast-casual spinoff set to open". Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- ""What Is The Cheesecake Factory?" About Page on the company's website". Cheesecakefactory.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- "History of The Cheesecake Factory". Funding Universe. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "The Cheesecake Factory Restaurant Locations". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "The Cheesecake Factory abrirá en Plaza Las Américas en el 2013 - Plaza Las Americas Shopping Center - San Juan, Puerto Rico". Plaza Las Americas. 18 December 2012. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Zanolla, Leah (26 March 2008). "Cheesecake Factory Express Leaving Downtown Disney".
- Farooqui, Salmaan (17 November 2017). "Not a piece of cake". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- Jennings, Lisa (May 20, 2014). "The Cheesecake Factory to expand to Asia". Nation's Restaurant News. Archived from the original on May 22, 2014.
- Kowitt, Beth (February 12, 2013). "M.H. Alshaya: The mystery company importing Americana to the Mideast". Fortune. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- Kowitt, Beth (February 25, 2013). "The Mystery Company Importing Americana to the Mideast". Fortune. 167 (3): 90–96.
- "Bienvenido a The Cheesecake Factory". thecheesecakefactory.com.mx. TCF Co. LLC. Archived from the original on 21 July 2017.
- Ipsum, Liora (April 12, 2017). "The Cheesecake Factory is opening a Toronto location this fall". dailyhive.com.
- Yorkdale Style [@YorkdaleStyle] (July 13, 2017). "The Cheescake Factory will be opening on November 21st 2017! Check Yorkdale.com for updates!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Chan, Bernice (2 May 2017). "So is Cheesecake Factory Hong Kong's food worth the wait?". South China Morning Post.
- "Questions for ... Cheesecake Factory's David Overton". Fortune. Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- Dolinsky, Steve (2018-02-04). "L.A.-based RockSugar opens Oak Brook location". ABC7 Chicago. Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- "Cheesecake Factory buying Phoenix-based Fox restaurant empire". KTAR.com. 2019-07-31. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- Zinczenko, David (2010-11-19). "America's Best—and Worst!—Family Restaurants". Health.yahoo.net. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- HealthiNation (2010-12-10). "Worst Foods in America, 2010". Health.yahoo.net. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Xtreme Eating 2013: Extremism Running Amok at America's Restaurant Chains". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Dietary Guidelines 2015-2020, Appendix 2. Estimated Calorie Needs per Day, by Age, Sex, and Physical Activity Level". The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Dietary Guidelines 2015-2020". The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Cheesecake Factory 'SkinnyLicious' menu cuts calories - USATODAY.com". USATODAY.COM. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Cheesecake Factory.|