The Club Is Alive
|"The Club Is Alive"|
|Single by JLS|
|from the album Outta This World and JLS (U.S. version)|
|Released||2 July 2010|
|Songwriter(s)||Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II, Andrew Frampton, Savan Kotecha, Steve Mac|
|JLS singles chronology|
"The Club Is Alive" is a song by British boyband JLS. It was released in the United Kingdom on 2 July 2010 as the lead single from their second studio album, Outta This World. It was also included in the American EP version of their debut album.
Its lyrics sample "The Sound of Music", composed by Richard Rodgers, to lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II and originally performed by Mary Martin in the stage musical of the same name, but was later popularised by Julie Andrews in the 1965 film. It was written by Andrew Frampton, Savan Kotecha and Steve Mac and produced by Mac. Inspired by the musical film The Sound of Music, the song was originally intended for American rapper Flo Rida, but he declined.
The video for the single was shot in May 2010 during the band's visit to Los Angeles, California, while recording their second album. Directed by Frank Borin, it takes its inspiration from the popular US TV series Entourage. The video shows the band turn up to a party in a nightclub in downtown L.A., where they also perform their song on a revolving stage.
JLS performed the song on the fifth live semi-final of series 4 of Britain's Got Talent. On 11 July 2010, JLS performed the song on Alan Carr: Chatty Man and also gave an interview. The song was also performed at the Radio 1's Big Weekend in Bangor, Wales and T4 on the Beach, as well as on GMTV, Magic Numbers, T4 Stars of 2010 and The 5.19 Show.
"The Club Is Alive" debuted on the Irish Singles Chart on 9 July 2010 at number four where it remained for two consecutive weeks, marking the band's third top five hit in the country. On 11 July 2010, the song debuted on the UK Singles Chart at number one. It became their third number one single, selling 84,283 copies in its first week. Despite the initial success of the song, it dropped six places to number seven the following week and then a further two places to number nine on 25 July 2010. On 1 August 2010, the song dropped a further seven places to number sixteen.
- "The Club Is Alive" – 3:36
- "Only Tonight" (Remix featuring Chipmunk) – 3:42
|United Kingdom||2 July 2010||Epic Records||Digital download|
|5 July 2010||CD single|
|Sony Indonesian-International||11 July 2010||Sony Music Entertainment||Digital download|
- "JLS 'The Club Is Alive' leaks in full CDQ and it's poo!". Toyaz-World. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 13 June 2010.
- Lindvall, Helienne (11 November 2010). "Behind the music: Who's the guy with the silly wigs on The X Factor?". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 November 2010.
- Copsey, Robert. "Music - Singles Review - JLS: 'The Club Is Alive'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "JLS come 'alive' with confirmation of new single release". STV. 29 April 2010. Retrieved 13 June 2010.
- Trent (5 June 2010). "JLS Perform On 'Britain's Got Talent'". Thatgrapejuice.net. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Catch Up with Alan Carr: Chatty Man Online". 123WebTV. 4 July 2010. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Kylie Minogue scores fifth UK Number One album | News". NME. 24 July 2009. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- Jones, Alan (12 July 2010). "JLS and Kylie top charts". Music Week. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "JLS – Chart Search" Billboard European Hot 100 Singles for JLS. (subscription required)
- "Chart Track: Week 27, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "British single certifications – JLS – The Club Is Alive". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type The Club Is Alive in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "The Club Is Alive: JLS: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "The Club Is Alive: Jls". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- on YouTube