The Flintstone Kids
|The Flintstone Kids|
|Based on||The Flintstones|
|Narrated by||Kenneth Mars (Captain Caveman and Son segments)|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Opening theme||"The Flintstone Kids"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||34 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Hanna-Barbera Productions|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||September 6, 1986 –|
May 21, 1988
|Preceded by||The Flintstone Funnies|
|Followed by||Dino: Stay Out!|
|Related shows||The Flintstones|
The Flintstone Kids is a Saturday morning animated series produced by Hanna-Barbera. It is an alternative incarnation of the studio's original animated series The Flintstones. The series depicts juvenile versions of the main characters from the original show, where they deal with their childhood. It aired from September 6, 1986 to May 21, 1988 on ABC and as part of the weekday/weekend morning programming block The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera.
The program follows the adventures of Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, Wilma Slaghoople, Betty McBricker and Dino as children as they deal with their childhood with their friends Nate Slate, Philo Quartz, and Dreamchip Gemstone while also contending with their bully Rocky Ratrock and his group consisting of Tommy, Flab Slab, Janet Granite, and Rocky's dog Stalagbite.
This series featured the following segments:
- The Flintstone Kids: The "main" story of the show. Either it would be the length of a full episode or be split into two different stories.
- Flintstone Funnies: Freddy, Barney, Wilma and Betty dreaming of exciting fantasy/adventures. These were dropped in the second season.
- Dino's Dilemmas: This segment featured the adventures and misadventures of Freddy's pet dinosaur Dino.
- Captain Caveman and Son: The adventures of Captain Caveman with his son Cavey Jr. as they fight bad guys like the evil genius Mr. Bad. This segment was actually a "show within a show" whereby Captain Caveman and Son is a TV show watched by the main characters, with the "fourth wall" being broken frequently.
- Charlie Adler – Cavey Jr., Armored Car Robber (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Bever-Leigh Banfield – Mayor of Bedrock
- Michael Bell – Mr. Billy Bad
- Mel Blanc – Dino, Bob Rubble, Captain Caveman, Piggy McGrabit (in "Greed It and Weep," "Captain Cavedog"
- Susan Blu – Dreamchip Gemstone, Janet Granite, Mrs. Gemstone
- Hamilton Camp – Barney Rubble, Flab Slab
- Henry Corden – Ed Flintstone, Edna Flintstone
- Julie Dees – Wilma Slaghoople (1986–1987), Mica Slaghoople, Mickey Slaghoople, Tommy
- June Foray – Grandma Cavemom
- Elizabeth Lyn Fraser – Wilma Slaghoople (1987–1988)
- Dana Hill - Criminal (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Buster Jones – Officer Quartz
- Kenneth Mars – Narrator ("Captain Caveman and Son" segments), Armored Car Robber (in "Captain Knaveman"), Museum Robber (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Scott Menville – Freddy Flintstone (1987–1988)
- Bumper Robinson – Philo Quartz
- Michael Rye – Mr. Slaghoople
- Ronnie Schell – Yuckster (in "A Tale of Too Silly," "Day of the Villains," "The Cream -Pier Strikes Back," "Captain Cavedog")
- Marilyn Schreffler – Rocky Ratrock, Flo Rubble
- John Stephenson – Mr. Gemstone, Ditto Master (in "The Ditto Master," "Day of the Villains")
- Jean Vander Pyl – Pearl Pebbles Slaghoople
- B.J. Ward – Betty McBricker, Mrs. Rockbottom
- Beau Weaver – Beaver
- Lennie Weinrib – Freddy Flintstone (1986–1987), Police Commissioner
- Frank Welker – Nate Slate, Stalagbite, Fang, fill-ins for Dino and Bob Rubble, Thug (in "Captain Knaveman")
- Season 1: Jon Bauman, Peter Cullen, Jim Cummings, Rick Dees, Dick Erdman, Takayo Fischer, Pat Fraley, Arte Johnson, Aron Kincaid, René LeVant, Allan Lurie, Tress MacNeille, Janet May, Howard Morris, George O'Hanlon, Rob Paulsen, Avery Schreiber, Patric Zimmerman
- Season 2: James Avery, Julie Bennett, Sorrell Booke, Robin Braxton, Valri Bromfield, Arthur Burghardt, Victoria Carroll, Kristina Chan, Townsend Coleman, Roberto Cruz, Brian Cummings, Jennifer Faso, Takayo Fischer, Lillian Garrett, Ernest Harada, Robert Ito, Robbie Lee, Peter Leeds, Cindy McGee, Gustavo Palacios, Helgar Pedrini, Corey Rand, Shavar Ross, Marcelo Tubert, Vernee Watson-Johnson
On May 4, 2010, Warner Home Video released Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s, Volume 1, a compilation release which features episodes from various 80's cartoons including an episode from The Flintstone Kids. On March 11, 2014, Warner Home Video released The Flintstone Kids: Rockin' in Bedrock, a 2-disc set featuring 10 episodes from the first season, on DVD in Region 1.
- "Saturday Morning: Good And Bad". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- Sennett, Ted. The Art of Hanna-Barbera: Fifty Years of Creativity. New York: Viking Penguin, 1989. ISBN 0-670-82978-1. p. 262.
- Stone-Age Preteens, Mr. T , Dirk the Daring and More on WHV's Saturday AM '80s DVD Archived 2014-01-10 at the Wayback Machine
- We've Got a First Look at the Cover Art for 'Rockin' in Bedrock' Archived 2013-12-06 at the Wayback Machine