The Fox, Palmers Green
|The Fox, Palmers Green|
|Address||Green Lanes and Fox Lane|
|Town or city||London|
The Fox is a public house in Palmers Green, north London, on the corner of Green Lanes and Fox Lane. A Fox pub and hotel has stood on the site for over 300 years. In 2004, The Fox featured in the film of J.K. Rowling's novel Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. In 2015, The Fox was the first Asset of Community Value to be registered in the London Borough of Enfield.
Before the advent of the motor car, the Fox was the terminus of the horse-drawn bus service into London, run by the Davey family of publicans. The building formerly had stables at the back. The present building was constructed in 1904.
In 2002, a dispute between rival Albanian drugs gangs at The Fox spilled out on to the streets of Palmers Green and two men were critically injured and a third man, Edmund Gullhaj (22), was pronounced dead at the scene.
In 2015, the pub became the London Borough of Enfield's first Asset of Community Value after a successful application by Southgate Civic District Trust. The Wonder public house in Enfield Town is similarly recognised. In 2017, it was reported that Dutch brewers Heineken owned the pub and were preparing plans to redevelop it.
- Old stagers. Palmers Green Jewel in the North. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- A.P. Baggs, et al, "Edmonton: Social life", in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5, Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham. T.F.T. Baker and R.B. Pugh (Eds.) London, 1976. pp. 172-175. British History Online. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Fox nominated as an Asset of Community Value. Basil Clarke, Palmers Green Community, 8 April 2015. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- The Albanian Connection. BBC London, 20 February 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Revamp plan for Harry Potter pub in Palmers Green. Clare Casey, Enfield Gazette & Advertiser, 9 January 2017. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- The Fox becomes Enfield's first "Asset of Community Value". Suzanne Beard, Palmers Green Jewel in the North, 2 June 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Assets of Community Value" by John West in Enfield Society News, No. 206 (Summer 2017), p. 11.
Media related to The Fox, Palmers Green at Wikimedia Commons