The Fresh Market
|Founded||March 5, 1982|
|Founders||Ray Berry and Beverly Berry|
|Headquarters||Greensboro, North Carolina, U.S.|
Number of locations
|159 (all in USA)|
Mid Atlantic U.S.
|Larry Appel (CEO)|
Number of employees
The Fresh Market was founded by Ray and Beverly Berry on March 5, 1982, in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Berrys' idea was to develop a better grocery store that brought back the feeling of open European-style markets. The company operates 176 stores in 24 states, located in the Southeast, Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, with plans for continued expansion throughout the country. Their first store in the West opened in October 2012 in Roseville, California. However, in March 2014, the company announced that it was closing all three of its Sacramento area stores including its Roseville store.
In 2012, Fresh Market acquired and remodeled four locations of longtime family-owned Houston grocer Rice Epicurean Markets. These locations were subsequently closed in May 2016 when Fresh Market shuttered its 13 locations in Texas, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas.
Apollo Global Management, LLC (APO), a leading global alternative investment manager, acquired the stock of The Fresh Market, Inc. (TFM) ("The Fresh Market") as of April 27, 2016. As a result, The Fresh Market became a privately held company and The Fresh Market's common stock ceased trading on the NASDAQ.
- "Store Locations - The Fresh Market".
-  Archived 2016-03-05 at the Wayback Machine
- "Contact Us Archived 2010-09-23 at the Wayback Machine." Fresh Market. Retrieved on July 13, 2010. "Mail: 628 Green Valley Road Suite 500 Greensboro, NC 27408-7041"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2007-06-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.thefreshmarket.com/about.html[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2014-03-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Kaplan, David. "Rice Epicurean to close four stores to make way for The Fresh Market." Houston Chronicle. November 14, 2012. Retrieved on November 15, 2012.
- "The Fresh Market announces closure of 13 locations across the U.S., including four in Houston". Houston Chronicle. 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "Report: Fresh Market raises $290 million at IPO". News & Record. 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-05.