The Golden Arrow prayer
|Part of a series on|
|Acts of reparation|
of the Catholic Church
The Golden Arrow prayer is based on reports of visions of Jesus by Sr. Marie of St Peter, a Carmelite nun of Tours, in 1843. It is a prayer of Reparation in praise of the holy name of God. It is also a reparation for the profanation of Sunday and the Holy Days of Obligation.
On March 16, 1844 Jesus reportedly told Sr. Marie:"Oh if you only knew what great merit you acquire by saying even once, Admirable is the Name of God, in a spirit of reparation for blasphemy."
Sister Mary stated that Jesus told her that the two sins which offend him the most grievously are blasphemy and the profanation of Sunday. He called this prayer the "Golden Arrow", saying that those who would recite it would pierce Him delightfully, and also heal those other wounds inflicted on Him by the malice of sinners. Sr. Mary of St. Peter saw, "streaming from the Sacred Heart of Jesus, delightfully wounded by this 'Golden Arrow,' torrents of graces for the conversion of sinners.
This prayer appears in the book “The Golden Arrow”, the autobiography of Sr. Marie of St Peter. In her book she wrote that in her visions Jesus told her that an act of sacrilege or blasphemy is like a "poisoned arrow", hence the name “Golden Arrow” for this reparatory prayer.
- May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
- most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
- be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
- and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
- and under the earth,
- by all the creatures of God,
- and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
- in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Another translation :
May the Most Holy, Most Sacred, Most Adorable, Most Mysterious and Unutterable Name of God be praised, blessed, loved, adored and glorified, in Heaven, on earth, and in the hells, by all God's creatures and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.
- Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ
- Apostle of the Holy Face
- Holy Face of Jesus
- Name of God in Christianity
- Sisters of the Reparation of the Holy Face
- Visions of Jesus and Mary
- The Golden Arrow: The Autobiography and Revelations of Sister Mary of St. Peter (1816-1848 on Devotion to the Holy Face of Jesus by Dorothy Scallan (May 1, 2009) ISBN 0895553899
- Dorothy Scallan. The Holy Man of Tours. (1990) ISBN 0-89555-390-2
- Janvier, Rev. P. The Life of Sister Saint-Pierre. 1885. Imprimatur of the Archbishop of Tours.