The Hymn of Samadhi
|by Swami Vivekananda|
Vivekananda in Madras in 1887
The Hymn of Samadhi or A Hymn of Samadhi was a song written by Swami Vivekananda. The song was originally written in Bengali as Nahi surjo, nahi jyoti or Pralay. Later the song was translated into English and was added into "The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda" as The Hymn of Samadhi.
In this song Vivekananda attempts to narrate the experiences of Nirvikalpa Samadhi and rediscover the real self or the "I". The song has been sung by various artistes. The song was used in the 2013 biopic The Light: Swami Vivekananda.
|The Hymn of Samadhi (excerpt)
Lo! The sun is not, nor the comely moon,
নাহি সূর্য নাহি জ্যোতিঃ নাহি শশাঙ্ক সুন্দর।
In the song Vivekananda tries to narrate the experiences of Nirvikalpa Samadhi. To explain Nirvikalpa Samadhi, he says, (during Nirvikalpa Samadhi), he experiences an environment where he sees neither the Sun, nor the moon, nor any kind of light. He observes the whole universe as floating in the sky like a shadow. He sees the universe— rising, floating and sinking— and this goes on ceaselessly. Very slowly, the shadow-multitude enters the primal-womb, and only the current remains, which keeps on buzzing— "I am", "I am". Slowly, that current ceases too, "void merges into void" and he experiences a stage of samadhi which he feels, is Abngmanasagocharam (beyond mind and speech).
Vivekananda talked on Nirvikalpa Samadhi on another occasion—
If the creation is false, then you can also regard the Nirvikalpa Samadhi of Jiva and his return therefrom as seeming appearances. Jiva is Brahman by his nature. How can he have any experience of bondage? Your desire to realise the truth that you are Brahman is also a hallucination in that case -- for the scripture says, "You are already that." Therefore, "(Sanskrit)— this is verily your bondage that you are practising the attainment of Samadhi."
- Chakrabarti 1998, pp. 47–48
- Surath Chandra Chakravarti (1984). Mysterious samadhi. Firma KLM. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- Vivekananda 1975, p. 57
- "A Song on Samadhi". Vedanta Centre Greater Washington. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Wikisource:The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 7/Conversations And Dialogues/VI
- "Poet Vivekananda". Milan Sagar. Retrieved 22 June 2013. (in Bengali)
- "Veer Vani". Ramakrishna Mission. Missing or empty
- "The Light: Swami Vivekananda soundtracks". Tata Docomo. Retrieved 22 June 2013.