The O'Neills is a radio serial drama which aired on Mutual, CBS and NBC from 1934 to 1943. Created by actress-writer Jane West, the series was sponsored at various times by Gold Dust, Ivory Snow and Standard Brands.
Characters and story
In the midwestern town of Royalton, widow Mother O'Neill (Kate McComb) raised her children, Danny (Jimmy Tansey) and Peggy (Joan Banks, Betty Caine, Violet Dunn, Claire Niesen, Betty Winkler). Living upstairs in the O'Neill's two-family house was Mother O'Neill's friend, the meddling Trudy Bailey (Jane West). After their father's death, teenager Janice Collins (Janice Gilbert) and her brother Eddie Collins (Jimmy Donnelly) moved into the O'Neill house. Helen Shields played Eileen Turner. In 1941, Claudia Morgan joined the cast, in the role of Laura Penway.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original release||September 6, 1949 –|
January 10, 1950
Janice Gilbert remained with the series when it was telecast on the DuMont Television Network Tuesdays at 9pm ET from September 6, 1949, until January 10, 1950.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1949-50 United States network television schedule
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1
- "New Cast Members". Harrisburg Telegraph. May 24, 1941. p. 20. Retrieved March 22, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- Dunning, John. The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio. Oxford University Press, 1998.
- "Joins "O'Neills"". Harrisburg Telegraph. December 6, 1941. p. 28. Retrieved July 26, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.