The Real Testament
|The Real Testament|
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 7, 2007|
|Genre||Southern hip hop, dirty rap, gangsta rap|
|Label||Big Gates, Slip-n-Slide, Atlantic|
|Producer||Kane Beatz, Akon, DJ Nasty & LVM, Drumma Boy, DVS, Ensayne, Gold Ru$h, Hen & Ro, Jay E, J. R. Rotem, Midnight Black, Papa Duck, The Beat Eaters|
|Singles from The Real Testament|
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The second single "Hypnotized" features and was produced by Akon.
There was also a series of web-only singles "100 Years", "Running My Momma Crazy", and "Got Em Hatin", there is a video for each of them, most of them were released in October and November, 2007. The third single was scheduled to be "You", featuring Tank, but it was changed to "I Am the Club".
The album was released in five different versions which included different bonus features depending on where the buyer purchases the album from.
The album was originally titled The Real Nigga Bible but was changed to The Real Testament for business reasons. The original cover showed Plies with a cigar filled with marijuana in his mouth, but was edited for certain retail outlets. An instrumental version of the album was released on iTunes on September 25.
AllMusic editor David Jeffries said that the album had a few "redundant tracks and some potential unreached", but praised both studio and street tracks being supported by capable producers and guest artists throughout. He concluding with: "An energetic artist with little refinement, Plies puts his rough edges to good use on The Real Testament, an exciting, sometimes promising, debut." Steve 'Flash' Juon of RapReviews spoke about the record: "In lesser hands this would have been one of a hundred no-name rap albums that end up in your local store's bargain bin but thanks to good beats and well-chosen singles in The Real Testament, Plies makes a favorable impression both on radio and his CD. So long as he avoids any more unfortunate nightclub incidents Plies has a promising future ahead that doesn't involve '100 Years' behind bars."
The Real Testament sold 96,000 copies in its first week of release, debuting at number two on the Billboard 200. The following week the album dropped seven spots to number nine. In its third week, the album sold 27,000 copies, dropping from number nine to twenty one. As of April 8, 2019, The Real Testament has been certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
|1.||"The Real Testament" (Intro)||Papa Duck||2:09|
|2.||"100 Years"||Midnight Black||3:50|
|3.||"I Know U Workin'"||Hen & Ro, Hall Of Tunez, Inc.||4:16|
|4.||"On My Dick"||GoldRu$h||3:54|
|5.||"1 Mo Time"||J.R. Rotem||3:47|
|6.||"I Am the Club"||J.R. Rotem||3:44|
|7.||"Runnin' My Momma Crazy"||DVS||4:15|
|8.||"Shawty" (featuring T-Pain)||Drumma Boy, Ensayne Wayne||4:15|
|9.||"Friday"||J. R. Rotem||3:39|
|10.||"Goons Lurkin'"||Midnight Black||3:52|
|11.||"Kept It Too Real"||The Beat Eaters||4:55|
|12.||"You" (featuring Tank)||Jay E||3:38|
|13.||"Money Straight"||Hen & Ro, Hall Of Tunez, Inc.||4:23|
|14.||"Hypnotized" (featuring Akon)||Akon||3:09|
|15.||"Murkin' Season"||Hen & Ro, Hall Of Tunez, Inc.||3:49|
|16.||"Got 'Em Hatin'"||Nitti||3:38|
|17.||"Bid Long"||Bei Maejor||4:08|
|18.||"Water"||DJ Nasty & LVM||3:28|
|19.||"Ain't Slippin'" (featuring 4orty)||JRock||3:38|
|Best Buy bonus track|
|16.||"I Just Want The Paper"||Kane Beatz||3:38|
- Sample credits
- "Shawty" - Contains a sample of "Fantasy" by Earth, Wind & Fire
|U.S. Billboard 200||2|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Jeffries, David. "The Real Testament - Plies". AllMusic. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- Slavik, Nathan (August 12, 2007). "Plies - The Real Testament". DJBooth. Archived from the original on July 6, 2008. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- Juon, Steve 'Flash' (August 21, 2007). "Plies :: The Real Testament :: Slip-N-Slide/Atlantic Records". RapReviews. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- Hasty, Katie (August 15, 2007). "After Five-Year Absence, UGK Scores First No. 1 Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 15, 2007.
- The Billboard 200 – The Real Testament. Billboard. Accessed August 29, 2007.
- "Hip-Hop/R&B Album Sales: Week Ending 6/1/08". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. June 4, 2008. Retrieved June 9, 2008.
- "Gold & Platinum". RIAA. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- "American album certifications – Plies – The Real Testament". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved April 13, 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.