The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience
Cover of the first edition
|November 14, 2002|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|LC Class||Q172.5.P77 S54 2002|
|Preceded by||How We Believe: The Search for God in an Age of Science|
|Followed by||Denying History|
The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience is a collection of articles that discuss the Skeptics Society's scientific findings of investigations into popular pseudoscientific and supernatural claims. It has been called "a 2-volume set with an attitude." The editor, Michael Shermer, director of the Skeptics Society, pulled together articles originally published in Skeptic magazine with some conceptual overviews and historical documents to create this two-volume encyclopedia. Pat Linse is listed as a contributing editor. It was published by ABC-CLIO in 2002.
The encyclopedia has five sections. The first volume is composed of alphabetical write-ups on the scientific view of pseudoscientific concepts such as the "Bermuda Triangle and dowsing, Shroud of Turin and Feng Shui, spiritualism and biorhythms, placebo effect and graphology, Alien abductions and UFOs, crop circles and astrology", followed by a section of investigations and discussions. The second volume explores such subjects in more depth with sections containing case studies, "for and against" essays, and historical documents. This final section has been criticized for containing only five documents.
- Scientific skepticism
- Skeptic's Dictionary
- An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
- Buczynski, J (April 2003). "The 'Skeptic' Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience". Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. 40 (8): 1342. doi:10.5860/CHOICE.40-4360.
- Gilson, Tom (February 2003). "From the Reference Desk". Against the Grain. 15 (1: Article 22): 60. Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- Hannabuss, S (2003). "The Skeptic Encyclopedia of PseudoScience". Reference Reviews. 17 (5). pp. 48–9.
- "The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience 2V". Scitech Book News (book review). 27 (1). Portland. March 2003.
- "ABC-CLIO - Product Catalog - Product Details". ABC-CLIO.Publisher's description of the book
- The Skeptic Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience Google Book's page
|This article about a non-fiction book on occultism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an encyclopedia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|