|Directed by||John Ford|
|Written by||Grace Cunard|
|Distributed by||Universal Film Manufacturing Company|
The Tornado is a 1917 American short Western film directed and co-written by John Ford. It was Ford's debut film as a director, (previously he directed films with his brother Francis Ford) he was only 22 years old, but sometimes The Trail of Hate (1917) is considered the first. There is a third film recorded in 1917, The Scrapper, and all of its are starred by John as a cowboy hero. The film is considered to be lost. It's distributed by Universal Pictures.
It was released on March 3, 1917. It starred Jack Ford as Jack Dayton, Jean Hathaway as Jack's Iris mother, John Duffy as Slick, his partner, Peter Gerald as Pendleton, the banker of Rock River, Elsie Thornton as Bess, Pendleton's daughter, and Duck Worne as Lesparre, chief of the Coyote Gang.
- John Ford as Jack Dayton (as Jack Ford)
- Jean Hathaway as Jack's mother
- Peter Gerald as Pendleton, banker from Rock River (as Pete Gerald)
- Elsie Thornton as Bess, Jack's daughter
- Duke Worne as Lesparre, the lead of Cayote gang
- John Duffy as Slick, Jack's partner
- Levy 1998, p. 8, "Biography".
- Levy 1998, p. 42, "Chronology".
- Leonard, Suzanne; Tasker, Yvonne (November 20, 2014). "Classical Hollywood". In Kelly, Christopher (ed.). Fifty Hollywood Directors. Routledge. p. 101. ISBN 9781317593942.
- Grant, Barry Keith (2003). "Filmography". John Ford's Stagecoach. Cambridge University Press. p. 185. ISBN 9780521797436.
- Frankel 2013, p. 393, "Quanah Texas June 2011".
- Frankel 2013, p. 214, "The Director Hollywood 1954".
- Hughes, Howard (October 24, 2007). "There's a Hundred More Tombstones". Stagecoach to Tombstone: The Filmgoers' Guide to the Great Westerns. I.B.Tauris. p. 304. ISBN 9780857730466.
- "Progressive Silent Film List: The Tornado". Silent Era. Retrieved February 22, 2008.
- Levy 1998, p. 9, "Biography".
- Bogdanovich, Peter (1967). "Fords' Career Filmography". John Ford. University of California Press. p. 111.
- Levy 1998, p. 64, "Filmography".
- Levy 1998, p. 213, "Photoessay follows page".
- Casas, Quim (2007). "Érase una vez el Oeste...". In Pérez, Xavier (ed.). Peliculas Clave Del Western (in Spanish). Ediciones Robinbook. p. 227. ISBN 9788496222885.
- The Moving Picture World. March 3, 1917
- Bogdanovich, Peter. p. B6
- Gallagher, Tag. p. B23
- Davis, Ronald. B13, p. 38
- Frankel, Glenn (2013). The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 320. ISBN 9781620400647.
- Levy, Bill (1998). John Ford: A Bio-bibliography. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 352. ISBN 9780313275142.
- Mitchell, George (March 1963). "The Films of John Ford". Films in Review. pp. 129–145.