Think and Grow Rich
|Original title||Think and Grow Rich|
|Publisher||The Ralston Society|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book)|
Think and Grow Rich was written by Napoleon Hill in 1937 and promoted as a personal development and self-improvement book. He claimed to be inspired by a suggestion from business magnate and later-philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
While the book's title and much of the writing concerns increasing income, the author insists that his philosophy can help people succeed in any line of work, to do and be anything they can imagine. First published during the Great Depression, the book sold more than 20 million copies by Hill's death in 1970. By 2015, more than 100 million copies had been sold worldwide.
It remains the biggest seller of Napoleon Hill's books. BusinessWeek magazine's Best-Seller List ranked it the sixth best-selling paperback business book 70 years after it was published. Think and Grow Rich is listed in John C. Maxwell's A Lifetime "Must Read" Books List.
Hill studied their habits and drew some 16 "laws" to be applied to achieve success. Think and Grow Rich condenses them, providing the reader with 13 principles in the form of a "Philosophy of Achievement". The book asserts that desire, faith, and persistence can propel one to great heights if one can suppress negative thoughts and focus on long-term goals.
The 13 "steps" listed in the book are:
- Specialized Knowledge
- Organized Planning
- Power of the Master Mind
- The Mystery of Sex Transmutation
- The Subconscious Mind
- The Brain
- The Sixth Sense
There are several courses created from the Think and Grow Rich content and principles. Earl Nightingale co-created with Napoleon Hill a 30-minute audio summary of the book, titled "Think and Grow Rich: Instant Motivator".
- Briley, Richard Gaylord, 1995, The Seven Spiritual Secrets Of Success, Thomas Nelson Publishers, ISBN 0-7852-8083-9, p. 151.
- Hill, Napoleon, 1960, Think and Grow Rich. [Revised Edition, p. 19], Fawcett Books, New York, ISBN 0-449-21492-3.
- Michael J. Ritt and Kirk Landers, A Lifetime of Riches: The Biography of Napoleon Hill. Revised edition 1995, ISBN 0-525-94146-0.
- "'Grow Rich' Author Dies", in: The Milwaukee Sentinel (AP), November 10, 1970.
- "Think and Grow Rich". Napoleon Hill Foundation. 2015. Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- The BusinessWeek Best-Seller List, in: BusinessWeek magazine, January 15, 2007.
- Maxwell, John, A Lifetime "Must Read" Books List, March 2008.
- Hill, Napoleon (1937). Think And Grow Rich. The Ralston Society. ISBN 978-1-78844-102-5. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude, by Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone. ISBN 1-4165-4159-4.
- Earl Nightingale Reads Think and Grow Rich [The essence of Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich], by Earl Nightingale. ISBN 1-4558-1011-8.