Tom Brady–Peyton Manning rivalry
The Tom Brady–Peyton Manning rivalry is a series of games that took place between 2001 and 2016, involving two quarterbacks in the National Football League (NFL): Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Brady has played for the New England Patriots since 2000, when he was the 199th selection in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft. After Drew Bledsoe was injured in week 2 of the 2001 season, Tom Brady got his first career start against Peyton Manning's Colts, winning the game 44-13. Brady has been the Patriots' starting quarterback since, with the exception of 2008, when he tore his ACL in the opening game, as well as in 2016, when Brady was suspended for the first 4 games due to his involvement in the Deflategate scandal. Manning was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1998 NFL Draft with the number 1 pick, and played for the Colts until a neck injury caused him to miss the entire 2011 season. Prior to the 2012 season, Manning signed with the Denver Broncos, whom he played for up to his retirement following the 2015 season.
Manning and Brady played each other 17 times. Brady led the head-to-head series 11–6. From 2001–2015, the two quarterbacks met at least once every season, except 2002, 2008, and 2011 (While Brady's Patriots and Manning's Colts played each other in 2008 and 2011, Brady missed the 2008 game and Manning missed the 2011 game due to injuries). The two quarterbacks did not meet during the 2015 regular season (Brady's Patriots did play Manning's Broncos, but Manning missed the game due to injury), but they met in that year's AFC Championship Game.
Brady led the Colts–Patriots series 8–4 and also led the Broncos–Patriots series 3–2, though Manning's two wins with the Broncos both occurred in the AFC Championship Games in 2013 and 2015. Brady led the series in Foxborough 8–2, while Manning led the series in Indianapolis/Denver 4–3.
The two quarterbacks met five times in the NFL Playoffs, in which Manning won three of them. Four of the five match-ups were in the AFC Championship Game, with Manning winning three of the four, one with the Colts and two with the Broncos. The winner of each of the playoff match-ups went on to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Four of the teams, Brady's 2003 and 2004 Patriots and Manning's 2006 Colts and 2015 Broncos went on to win the Super Bowl, while Manning's 2013 Broncos lost the game.
|Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning Game-by-Game Results|
Brady's Patriots vs. Manning's Colts (Brady, 8–4)
Brady's Patriots vs. Manning's Broncos (Brady, 3–2)
Summary of Results
|Player||G||ATT||COMP||PCT||YDS||AVG||YDS/G||TD||INT||LNG||SCK||RATE||RSH YDS||RSH ATT||RSH TD||NFL MVPs|
|Player||G||ATT||COMP||PCT||YDS||AVG||YDS/G||TD||INT||LNG||SCK||RATE||RSH YDS||RSH ATT||RSH TD||SB Wins||SB MVPs|
Note: Brady's statistics are updated as of February 3, 2019, while Manning's statistics are final.
- Armour, Nancy (January 17, 2014). "With other QB rivalries 'not even close,' Manning and Brady square off again". USA Today. Archived from the original on January 1, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- Hochman, Benjamin (January 19, 2014). "Peyton Manning-Tom Brady ranks among greatest sports rivalries of all time". The Denver Post. Archived from the original on January 20, 2014. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Reineking, Jim (January 21, 2016). "Top Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning games". National Football League. Archived from the original on February 4, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "Full Draft - 2000". Archived from the original on September 6, 2011. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Shulman, Dan (August 4, 2019). "Tom Brady's First-Career Start Was a Blowout Over Peyton Manning's Colts. [WATCH]". Heavy. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
- Springer, Shira (September 11, 2008). "Brady has both ACL and MCL tears". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on February 20, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Kelley, Craig (September 7, 2011). "COLLINS TO START". Indianapolis Colts. Archived from the original on February 4, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Perry, Phil (November 9, 2017). "Miller can't stop calling Brady 'the GOAT' even though he thinks Manning was better". NBC Sports. Archived from the original on October 31, 2018. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- "Football's Greatest: Ranking the Top 10 Quarterbacks in NFL History". Sports Illustrated. October 27, 2017. Archived from the original on October 31, 2018. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Battista, Judy (October 31, 2014). "Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady: One for the ages -- and ageless". National Football League. Archived from the original on April 22, 2017. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Donaldson, Jim (January 12, 2014). "Jim Donaldson: Brady-Manning – As good as it gets". Providence Journal. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- Bender, Bill (October 30, 2014). "By the Numbers: Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning". The Sporting News. Archived from the original on October 1, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2017.
- "Peyton Manning Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Archived from the original on October 2, 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2018.
- "Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Archived from the original on February 6, 2018. Retrieved February 11, 2018.