Tommy Gale (racing driver)
|Born||September 10, 1934|
McKeesport, Pennsylvania, United States
|Died||September 30, 1999(aged 65)|
|Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career|
|246 races run over 17 years|
|Best finish||15th – 1981|
|First race||1968 American 500 (Rockingham)|
|Last race||1986 Winston 500 (Talladega)|
Tommy Gale (September 10, 1934 – September 30, 1999) was a NASCAR Winston Cup Series race car driver from McKeesport, Pennsylvania who raced from 1968 to 1986. He ended up becoming one of the runners-up for the 1977 NASCAR Rookie of the Year award.
Gale started as a NASCAR Cup Series rookie when he was 34 years old and competed until his retirement at the age of 51. Leading only three laps of his 60,655-lap spanning career, Gale managed to make $683,965 in total winnings ($1,563,318.91 when adjusted for inflation). While starting in 27th place on average, his average finishes were 22nd place after competing in a grueling 75,239.7 miles or 121,086.6 kilometres of top-level professional stock car racing.
Gale's strongest performances are on short oval tracks where he finished an average of 20th place. His weakness would be found on road courses; where a finish of 28th place would be expected out of Gale. His primary vehicle throughout his career was the #64 Ford machine owned by fellow NASCAR driver Elmo Langley.
- Career statistics about Tommy Gale at Racing Reference
- Tommy Gale's NASCAR Winston Cup Series DNQ List at Racing Reference
- NASCAR statistics on Tommy Gale at Driver Averages
- Complete NASCAR career statistics on Tommy Gale at Fantasy Racing Cheat Sheet
- Gale won respect... not races at The Pittsburgh Press (Google News Archive Search)
- Tommy Gale driver statistics at Racing-Reference