This article does not cite any sources. (February 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Northeastern face as viewed from Santa Clarita
|Elevation||6,716 ft (2,047 m)|
|Parent range||Transverse Ranges|
|Borders on||Sierra Pelona Mountains and Sierra Madre Mountains|
The Topatopa Mountains lie in an east-west direction east of the Sierra Madre Mountains, and west of the Sierra Pelona Mountains. To the south lies the Santa Clara River Valley into which various creeks drain starting in the mountains into the Santa Clara River. The range reaches an elevation of 6,716 feet (2,047 m) at Hines Peak, about six miles north of Thomas Aquinas College. Snow frequently falls on the high peaks during winter.
Lake Piru is the only major reservoir located within the mountains.
The Topatopa Mountains are within the southern Los Padres National Forest. The Sespe Wilderness Area, and the Sespe Condor Sanctuary, are primarily within the Topatopa Mountains and foothills. They are part of the home range of the endangered California condor.
The habitat is of the California montane chaparral and woodlands ecoregion. Sespe Creek flows through the range, creating Sespe Gorge, with Riparian habitats of willows and woodlands.
The southeastern face of the Topatopa Mountains as seen from Santa Clarita Valley.
- Hines Peak - 6,716 ft (2,047 m)
- Cobblestone Mountain 6,699 ft (2,041 m)
- Topatopa Bluff - 6,367 ft (1941 m)
- Chief Peak - 5,560+ ft (1695+ m)
- Santa Paula Peak - 4,957 ft (1.511 m)
- Nordhoff Peak - 4,485 ft (1,367 m)
Adjacent Transverse Ranges
- San Emigdio Mountains - to the north
- Pine Mountain Ridge - to the north and northwest
- Sulphur Mountains (California) - northwest across the Ojai Valley
- Sierra Madre Mountains - to the west
- Santa Ynez Mountains - to the southwest
- Santa Susana Mountains - to the southeast
- Sierra Pelona Mountains - to the east
Media related to Topatopa Mountains at Wikimedia Commons
|This Ventura County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|