Tourism in Northern Cyprus
Tourism has affected the development of Northern Cyprus. Its share of the GDP of Northern Cyprus is significant.
Flora and fauna
Arrivals by country
Tourists arrivals by country (As of the end of 2012):
|Country\Year||2003||% (2003)||2012||% (2012)||2013|
|2||UK (non-Turkish Cypriot)||47.160|
Turkey, UK and other northern Europe represents most of the tourist arrivals.
The number of tourists visiting the TRNC during January–August 2006 was 380,000, up from 286,901 during January–August 2003.
The number of tourist beds increased to 17000 in 2011. Tourism revenue in 2011 was USD400 million. The number of tourists visiting Northern Cyprus: January–August 2003: 286,901; January–August 2006: 380,000,; 2010: 437,723
Although there are two airports in Northern Cyprus, the Ercan Airport and Geçitkale Airport, neither have been recognized due to the ongoing disputes involving the political status and recognition of Northern Cyprus. All international flights are done via Turkey by public and private airline companies.
Marina tourism also developed in recent years; Karpaz Gate Marina of Northern Cyprus became a member of ART Marine’s international marinas network in 2014.
Capacity of tourism sector
Total number of beds:
Total shore length:
Tourist arrivals per year:
The rank of the country in most popular destinations in the world:
International memberships of Northern Cyprus and its organizations:
Annual Tourism Revenues: As of 2012 December: 700 million USD Number of night stayings: 2003: 1.3 millions 2012: 2.7 millions Touristic bed capacity: (2013 March) 19.867 Number of touristic establishments: (2013 March) 145 (Kyrenia: 99). 15 is 5-star-hotel, 6 is 4-star-hotel, 3 is boutique-hotel, 1 is special-certified-hotel. The total number of hotels is 84; Bungalov establishments: 33
Marina tourism also developed in recent years; many international yacht voyagers come to Northern Cyprus every year.
International memberships of Northern Cyprus and its organizations in tourism
- Karpaz Gate Marina is a member of International Council of Marine Industry Associations (ICOMIA) since 2014.
- Karpaz Gate Marina of Northern Cyprus became a member of ART Marine’s international marinas network in 2014.
- Cyprus Turkish Tourism and Travel Agents Union is a member of United Federation of Travel Agents' Associations (UFTAA). and Global Alliance of Travel Agent Associations (GATAA)
Saint Hilarion Castle, view of the Queen Elanor's window
Panorama of Kyrenia Castle (Girne Kalesi)
A view from the Kyrenia Castle
Bellapais Abbey inner court
The Kyrenia Shipwreck Museum
The new harbour of Kyrenia
- Kibris Postasi
- Tourism statistics for the period January-August 2003: North Cyprus Ministry of Economy and Tourism
- Zaman Newspaper 01 Sept 2011 Archived 2013-11-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Number of tourists visiting North Cyprus Year 2010: 437,723
- superyachtbusiness Archived 2014-09-11 at the Wayback Machine KGM of Northern Cyprus became a member of ART marines international.
- "UFTAA" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
- Northern Cyprus News
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Northern Cyprus.|