Trafford Park Line
|Trafford Park Line|
|Website||Transport for Greater Manchester|
|Character||Reserved track &|
|Line length||5.5 km (3.4 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||750 volts DC overhead|
The Trafford Park Line is a tram line under construction on the Manchester Metrolink network in Greater Manchester, England, running from Pomona to the Trafford Centre. Its name derives from Trafford Park, an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, and the first planned industrial estate in the world.
Between July and September 2014, Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) conducted a public consultation to build the line. In November 2014, TfGM applied for power under the Transport and Works Act 1992 to build and operate the line. In October 2016, power to build the line was granted by the Secretary of State for Transport. Construction commenced in January 2017, and it is expected to be open in 2020.
The line will branch off from the Eccles Line immediately beyond Pomona, where provision was made for a future junction at the south–western end when the viaduct on which it sits was built in the late 1990s. Stops will be built at Wharfside, Imperial War Museum, Village, Parkway, EventCity and the Trafford Centre. Future provision will be made to extend the line to Port Salford.
Crumpsall, on the Bury Line, will eventually become the northern terminus for Trafford Park line services. The line will run from Crumpsall (via the Bury line, city zone and Eccles line) to the Trafford Centre on completion. TfGM announced in July 2017 that works would begin at Crumpsall from 31 July 2017 "in preparation for the new Trafford Park line joining the Metrolink network", and expected completion for this section would be in March 2018.
27 new trams are on order to operate the line; these are of the same M5000 type but will incorporate modifications made to the existing fleet including new touch screen Vecom units for drivers. https://tfgm.com/press-release/contract-signed-for-27-new-trams
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trafford Park Line.|
- Nicholls (1996), p. xiii
- Consultation on Manchester Metrolink extension set to begin Rail Technology Magazine 16 June 2014
- Trafford Centre Metrolink plans to be discussed BBC News 7 July 2014
- "Trafford Park Line". Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original on 14 March 2016.
- Metrolink's Trafford Park £350m Tramline Approved BBC News 13 October 2016
- Green light for new Trafford Park Metrolink line Metrolink 14 October 2016
- Metrolink line to the Trafford Centre will go ahead despite objections from Coronation Street and Manchester United Manchester Evening News 14 October 2016
- Powers granted for Manchester Metrolink Trafford Park extension Railway Gazette International 14 October 2016
- "Ground broken on Manchester's Trafford Park Line". Global Rail News. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Metrolink future network Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine Transport for Greater Manchester
- "Works at Crumpsall Metrolink stop". TfGM. Retrieved 8 August 2017.