This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Population||5,050 (2011 ward)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Treforest (Welsh: Trefforest) is a village in the south-east of Pontypridd, in the county borough of Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales. It is situated in the Treforest electoral ward, along with the village of Glyntaff (or Glyn-Taf), being part of the Pontypridd Community. Treforest runs along the west bank of the River Taff (Welsh: Afon Taf), while Glyntaff runs along its east bank.
Treforest extends from immediately south-east of Ynysangharad Park, where the A4058 link from the A470 joins the A473 Broadway (south of the adjoining wards of Graig and Trallwn), all the way to join the Tonteg ward in the south (part of the community of Llantwit Fardre).
The village is historically connected with the Crawshay family, who established a major tinplate works in 1835. Treforest is now known for its association with the University of South Wales, originally established as the Newport Mechanics Institute in the 1840s, the campus in Treforest was established as the School of Mines in 1913.
Treforest Industrial Estate is not part of Treforest or its electoral ward, most of which is not even within Pontypridd. Instead, this falls partly within the area of Upper Boat (Pontypridd), but mostly within the Willowford area of Ton-Teg (Llantwit Fardre) and Nantgarw (Taffs Well ward).
Treforest has one railway station, Treforest (Treforest Estate is in the Willowford area between Tonteg and Nantgarw). The railway station is located on the Merthyr and Rhondda lines, between Pontypridd and Treforest Estate railway stations.
Treforest has two primary schools; Parc Lewis, and St. Michael's; though a third school, Trefforest Primary, closed in 2006 despite the petitions from parents, governors and local councillor, as a result of a process commenced by the 1999–2004 administration on the Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council. The University of South Wales' Trefforest campus is located in the village.
The population of Treforest consists substantially of students living away from home, who often leave the village during the summer months, and return in the new academic year.
Notable bars and pubs in the area include the Rickards, the Otley Arms, Gecko Bar tapas bar, and the Pick & Shovel. Treforest is home to association football team Treforest F.C.: this mid-sized Club currently runs teams from Under 8 level to Seniors. The Senior teams play in the South Wales Alliance League and Taff Ely and Rhymney Valley Leagues.Treforest has a purpose-built stadium and club facilities with two bars. Treforest F.C. is affiliated to the South Wales Football Association and is a full member of the Football Association of Wales.
The Treforest Trading Estate, later renamed Treforest Industrial Estate, originated with the formation of the 'South Wales and Monmouthshire Trading Estates Ltd.' in June 1936. This non-profit making company aimed to establish one or more trading estates in Wales, and the first sod was cut on 29 December 1936 . By the end of 1937, three small factories had been completed and occupied. The first building contract awarded was a large factory for the British Coated Board and Paper Company Ltd (Wiggins Teape).
During the Second World War, the factories on the estate played a major role in the war effort and national economy; many buildings were requisitioned by the government, and their occupants re-housed in makeshift buildings away from the estate. Extensions and new factories were built by government departments.
Many of the companies on the Estate were established by businesspeople who had arrived as refugees from German-occupied Europe. They had often been able to bring money and equipment with them.
By 1944, almost 16,000 people were being employed on the estate. In 1960, the estate came under the control of the 'Welsh Industrial Estates Corporation', and later, the Welsh Development Agency.
Companies which have operated factories on the Estate include: BOAC, Aero Zip, Metal Alloys Ltd, Afon Tinplate Ltd, Finetex Ltd, Ford, South Wales Switchgear, Standard Telephones and Cables, Fram Filters. (Please expand this List)
Notable people from Treforest
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sir Tom Jones
Treforest is the birthplace of singer Sir Tom Jones, who was born on 7 June 1940 at 57, Kingsland Terrace. Jones has a telephone box from Pontypridd at his Los Angeles home, imported as a souvenir of his home town.
Morfydd Llwyn Owen
Morfydd Llwyn Owen (1891–1918) was a Welsh composer born in Treforest, and educated at the Royal Academy of Music, London. She wrote hymns, choral music and orchestral works, often inspired by Welsh literacy and folk songs. In 1917, she married psychoanalyst Ernest Jones, but she died the following year at the age of 26.
World of Groggs is on the Broadway in Treforest.
Places of worship
A number of places of worship exist in Treforest. The University of South Wales offers a chaplaincy service. The chaplaincy also occasionally provides services in conjunction with Castle Square United Reformed Church. Other Christian churches in the village include St Dyfrig's Roman Catholic Church off Broadway, and Calvary Baptist Church off Wood Road. There are two old synagogues no longer in use.
- "Ward population 2011". Archived from the original on 19 November 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales. John Davies, Nigel Jenkins, Menna Baines and Peredur Lynch (2008) pg896 ISBN 978-0-7083-1953-6
- FamousWelsh.com. "Tom Jones. Singer from Pontypridd, Wales". www.famouswelsh.com. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales. John Davies, Nigel Jenkins, Menna Baines and Peredur Lynch (2008) pg639 ISBN 978-0-7083-1953-6