Treforest railway station
|Local authority||Rhondda Cynon Taf|
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Taff Vale Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Taff Vale Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|1847||Station opened as Treforest|
|1 July 1924||Renamed Treforest Low Level|
|5 May 1930||Renamed Treforest|
|12 May 1980||Renamed Trefforest|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Treforest from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Treforest railway station is a railway station serving the village of Treforest, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales. It is located on the Merthyr Line and the Rhondda Line 18 km (11½ miles) north west of Cardiff Central. Passenger services are provided by Transport for Wales.
The first section of the Taff Vale Railway (TVR), between Cardiff Docks and Navigation House (now Abercynon) was opened on 8 October 1840. The station at Treforest was not opened until 1847. As well as being served by trains between Merthyr & Cardiff on the main TVR route, it also acted as the junction station for the Llantrisant and Taff Vale Junction Railway branch line from its opening to passenger traffic in 1875.
The TVR was amalgamated with the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922, along with the Barry Railway and several others. Both the Barry Railway and the TVR had stations named Treforest, so to avoid confusion, the ex-TVR station was renamed Treforest Low Level on 1 July 1924.
The former Barry Railway passenger service between Porth and Barry was diverted via Treforest Low Level from 10 July 1930, and on that date the station resumed its previous identity of Treforest. Services to both Cardiff and Barry on this route ended on 10 September 1962, whilst that to Llantrisant had been withdrawn a decade earlier (on 31 March 1952). Both lines had closed completely by 1964.
The Welsh spelling of Trefforest was adopted on 12 May 1980.
During Monday–Saturday daytimes, there are usually six trains an hour from Cardiff Central to destinations including Pontypridd, Treherbert, Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare. There are six trains an hour to Cardiff Central with some trains continuing beyond Cardiff to Bridgend via Llantwit Major or Barry Island.
A reduced service operates on Sundays (2-hourly to all three northbound destinations, 3 trains every two hours to Cardiff and beyond)).
The station is a short walk from the Treforest campus of the University of South Wales, and many of the passengers using the station are staff or students of the university.
- James, Leslie (November 1983). A Chronology of the Construction of Britain's Railways 1778-1855. Shepperton: Ian Allan. p. 33. ISBN 0-7110-1277-6. BE/1183.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 233. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Bryan, Tim (May 2010). The Great Western Railway - A Celebration. Hersham: Ian Allan. p. 87. ISBN 978-0-7110-3498-3. 1005/B2.
- Barrie, D.S.M. (1983) . The Barry Railway. Oakwood Library of Railway History. Salisbury: Oakwood Press. p. 207. ISBN 0-85361-236-6. OL57.
- GB eNRT December 2015 Edition, Table 130 (Network Rail)
- Hutton, John (2006). The Taff Vale Railway, vol. 1. Silver Link. ISBN 978-1-85794-249-1.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Treforest Estate||Transport for Wales
|Taffs Well||Transport for Wales
Line and station closed
|Llantrisant and Taff Vale Junction Railway
Line and station open
|Great Western Railway