Troy L. Nunley
Troy Lynne Nunley
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California|
|Assumed office |
March 26, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Garland Ellis Burrell Jr.|
Troy Lynne Nunley
May 23, 1964
San Francisco, California
|Education||Saint Mary's College of California (B.A.)|
University of California, Hastings
College of the Law (J.D.)
Troy Lynne Nunley (born May 23, 1964) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California.
Early life and education
Born in San Francisco, California, Nunley received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1986 from St. Mary's College of California. He received his Juris Doctor in 1990 from University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
Nunley served as a Deputy District Attorney in Alameda County from 1991 to 1994 and in Sacramento County from 1996 to 1999. He served in private practice as a sole practitioner from 1994 to 1996. He served as a Deputy Attorney General in the California Attorney General's office from 1999 to 2002. From 2002 to 2013, he served as a judge on the Sacramento County Superior Court. Nunley has served as a professor of Business Organizations at Lincoln Law School since 2006.
Federal judicial service
On June 25, 2012, President Obama nominated Nunley to be a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, to the seat vacated by Judge Garland Ellis Burrell Jr. who took senior status on July 4, 2012. On September 19, 2012, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on his nomination and reported his nomination to the floor on December 6, 2012, by voice vote. On January 2, 2013, his nomination was returned to the President, due to the sine die adjournment of the Senate. On January 3, 2013, he was renominated to the same office. His nomination was reported by the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 14, 2013, by voice vote. He was confirmed by voice vote on the legislative day of March 22, 2013. He received his commission on March 26, 2013.
- State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.
- "President Obama Nominates Three to Serve on the US District Court". 25 June 2012.
- "Nunley, Troy Lynne – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Faculty – Lincoln Law School". Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "President Obama Re-nominates Thirty-Three to Federal Judgeships". 3 January 2013.
- Troy L. Nunley at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Troy L. Nunley at Ballotpedia
Garland Ellis Burrell Jr.
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California