This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||2006 in Kent, UK|
|Products||Mobile telecommunications products and services,|
Mobile and desktop software
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Truphone Ltd (in UK),|
Software Cellular Network Ltd (North America) (in USA),
Startel Communications Co Pty Ltd (in Australia),
SCN Truphone, S.L. (in Spain),
Truphone (Hong Kong) Limited (in Hong Kong),
Tru Pte Ltd (in Singapore), Truphone (Poland) Sp. z o.o. (in Poland)
Truphone is a GSMA accredited global mobile network that operates its service internationally. The company is headquartered in London and has offices in ten other countries, being spread across four continents.
Truphone offers SIM-based GSM mobile services to both businesses and individuals, mobile phone calls and SMS recording services for businesses, remote SIM provisioning and related services, and has a customer base that includes more than 3,500 multinational enterprises in 196 countries.
The company's core business focus is Truphone (launched as Truphone Local Anywhere in January 2010). It is a GSM SIM-based mobile service that provides bundles of minutes, text and data to business customers for use in an area of 66 countries. Truphone calls this group of countries Truphone World.
Within this area is a group of countries the company calls the Truphone Zone. Here, the company has MVNO partnerships with local operators and offers customers additional local mobile phone numbers. This is so users’ contacts can always reach them with a local call at a local rate.
Truphone was originally formed to develop downloadable mobile VoIP applications for smartphones, using the integrated Wi-Fi connection on the device. These offered the ability to make free or low cost calls on the mobile device in areas where there is weak or no GSM coverage, and to send Instant Messages to other networks in partnership with the multi million dollar Air Voice Telecommunications Group.
The first Truphone application released was for Nokia devices. This was followed by applications for Apple iPhone, BlackBerry smartphones, Apple iPod Touch, Android devices and a softphone application for desktop was launched in late 2010.
Truphone's SIM based products are entirely separate from the Apps. In 2012, Truphone had announced the intention to combine the SIM and App accounts for customers in the future, but their App service has since been discontinued.
Truphone's main funding comes from Vollin Holdings Limited, Minden, Ranjan Telecom Investments Ltd, Nikhanj Communications Ltd, Somercourt Investments Ltd, Wellington Partners, Eden Ventures, Shandilya Group of Industries, Burda Capital, Independent News and Media, Straub Ventures, and a number of high-net-worth individuals.
Products and services
The Truphone SIM is a standard GSM service with patented technology that allows customers to have additional phone numbers for any or all of the countries where Truphone has MVNO partnerships with local operators. Currently this includes Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, Poland, Spain, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States.
The company has built a mobile network with core network technology distributed across four continents. Truphone uses these local points of presence (POPs) to reduce the distance that mobile traffic has to travel. This reduces latency, improves data speeds and call quality.
Truphone offers local rates for calls, texts and data through commercial arrangements with mobile network operators in 66 countries around the world.
The company focuses mainly on the business marketplace, and also has a pre-pay SIM that comes with 1 phone number, additional numbers can be purchased for an extra monthly fee (currently $8/month). Business plans include 2 phone numbers as standard.
- Truphone Zone Countries where Truphone customers can purchase additional phone numbers, includes: the US, UK, Australia, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and Spain
- Truphone World Countries where business users' bundles of minutes, texts and data can be used,includes: Albania, Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Brazil, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Guiana, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Reunion Island, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and Vatican City
- Other countries: Truphone network provides service with higher quality performance in over 220 countries.
Truphone Mobile Recording
In addition to the roaming service, Truphone offers mobile call and SMS recording service to financial institutions in the UK and USA to comply with the mobile recording legislation from the Financial Conduct Authority, and the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform Act. The Truphone Mobile Recording service is delivered with its wholly owned subsidiary TruObsidian, an organisation created out of the acquisition of Obsidian Wireless by Truphone in 2012.
- Local rates in multiple countries
- Bundles of voice minutes, texts and data used across the 66 countries in Truphone World
- Multiple Local Numbers on one mobile / SIM for the eight Truphone Zone countries
- Smart CLI
- Works in over 200 countries (As per the GSMA)
- Call and SMS recording (Optional available for UK, USA, Hong Kong and Australia subscribers only)
The Smart Caller Line Identification (Smart CLI) technology ensures that the most appropriate number is displayed on the phone of the person the Truphone user is calling.
Truphone’s voice and SMS recording is integrated within the network infrastructure. Recorded conversations can be stored in the cloud or within the financial institution's existing recording infrastructure. In September 2013, Truphone partnered with BT to market Truphone Mobile Recording service to help firms meet new financial market regulations in the US.
Partnerships and MVNO agreements
Truphone has MVNO agreements with operators in Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, Poland, Spain, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and the United States. It has additional bi-lateral roaming agreements in place with a wide range of operators around the world .
Global mobile network infrastructure
Truphone owns and manages its own core mobile technology. The core is connected to global distributed major points of presence using a dedicated high speed internet connection (IP/VPLS). International mobile traffic is routed through the nearest point of presence, this reduction in physical distance reduces call interference and latency, and increases data throughput.
My Truphone App
Truphone was the first carrier in the world to launch an eSIM enabled app in the APP store in November 2018.
Known as my Truphone the app allows apple iPhone eSIM compatible to download a sim over the air mapped to the world’s famous Truphone’s travel plan.
Truphone's old VoIP application (known as Truphone App), was a separate product to the Tru SIM, allowing users to make calls over the internet to landline and mobile phone contacts, and free calls to other Truphone App users. Customers were also able to instant message contacts on other networks, such as Skype or Windows Live on selected devices.
The application also had additional user experience enhancements including:
- ‘call cost indicator’ that advises the per minute cost before a call is placed
- signal strength checker
- photo led contacts book
- instant Messaging
The application was available as a free download and worked on the following devices:
- Mobile devices:
- Desktops and laptops:
Text messages could be sent from Tru app versions for the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Nokia; as well as Apple Mac OS, Windows and Linux. Note as of the release of TruApp version 5 (in October/November 2012), text messaging functionality was removed from the iOS app and TruApp for iPad was removed from the Apple App Store altogether.
Tru App supported a range of calling methods: calls over wired or wireless internet on Windows, Mac and Linux. It supported calls over Wi-Fi, 3G and call-through, depending on the platform. Call-through was called Tru Anywhere, which used the local minutes of the user to connect the call to a local Tru server. The BlackBerry application from Tru uses this method of calling only.
It has been suggested that internet-based communications could be used without fear of interception. Truphone maintained, however, that it is governed by and complies with the same 'lawful intercept' laws as every other telecommunications company.
In September 2016, Truphone announced that the Truphone App would close on Monday, 21 November 2016. According to an email to its user base from Director of Service & Operations, Paula Booth, Truphone "took this hard decision to allow us focus on our core business".
- List of mobile network operators in the United Kingdom
- List of United States mobile phone companies
- List of mobile network operators in Australia
- Mobile virtual network operator
- "TRUPHONE LIMITED - Companies House UK". Group of companies' accounts made up to 31 December 2017. Companies House. 23 October 2018. Archived from the original on 26 February 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- Pham, Manny (22 May 2018). "Truphone will surpass turnover target after accreditation to join the GSMA". mobilenewscwp.co.uk. Archived from the original on 15 June 2018. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Truphone offices". Archived from the original on 26 February 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Paul Liesching, Truphone : Technology focus : Mobile call recording". Best Execution. 1 November 2013. Archived from the original on 15 July 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Truphone launches multi-mobile SMS recording service". Finextra. 26 January 2017. Archived from the original on 26 February 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "IoT Cellular Connevtivity Datasheet" (PDF). IoT. 9 December 2018. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 February 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- Lunden, Ingrid (22 May 2018). "Truphone, an eSIM mobile carrier that works with Apple, raises another $71M, now valued at $507M". TechCrunch. Verizon Media. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Truphone brings internet-rate phone calls to ordinary mobiles at The Cloud's hotspots". RealWire. 6 December 2006. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Ray, Bill (21 January 2010). "Truphone launches Local Anywhere service". The Register.
- "Truphone Offers '4G' WiFi Internet Phone Solution". TMC. 8 May 2006.
- Sorrel, Charlie (27 September 2007). "Truphone Brings True VoIP to iPhone | Gadget Lab". Wired.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Truphone brings VOIP app to Blackberry". Washingtonpost.com. 27 October 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Technology | Wireless turns iPod into a phone". BBC News. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Motorola il iDEN (7 December 2010). "Truphone rebrands to TRU; Launches desktop application". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Truphone App and SIM Services to Work Together". TruTower.com. 6 February 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "INTERNATIONAL MOBILE PHONE NETWORK COMPLETES PLANNED FUNDING ROUND, SECURING INVESTMENT OF £75 MILLION". Truphone. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Truphone raises Ł16.5m ($32.7m) in Series B round". Realwire.com. 17 April 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Judge, Peter (9 October 2006). "Truphone Mobile VoIP (beta)". Techworld. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Mobile VoIP start-up Truphone secures European tech sector's largest Series A funding of 2006". Realwire.com. 9 January 2007. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Truphone lands Red Herring 100 Europe award". The Tru Blog. Truphone. 19 March 2007. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Ray, Bill (17 July 2007). "T-Mobile forced to connect Truphone numbers". The Register.
- "Truphone Raises Pounds Sterling 16.5m ($32.7m) in Series B Round". Marketwire.com. 17 April 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Ray, Bill (11 April 2008). "Truphone picks up Sim4Travel". The Register.
- Ray, Bill (27 May 2008). "Truphone becomes a true phone". The Register.
- Dunn, John (30 October 2008). "Truphone puts VoIP on Blackberry minus Wi-Fi". Techworld. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Truphone launches VOIP app for iPod touch". Pocket-lint. 4 December 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Kim Poh Liaw (5 October 2006). "Truphone Anywhere launches for Android". SlashPhone. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Comunicano : Truphone Adds Instant Messaging And Twitter To Its Iphone And Ipod Touch Applications". Comunicano.typepad.com. 5 January 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Tom Keating (20 January 2010). "Truphone Local Anywhere - All Calls Now a Local Call". Blog.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Coventry, Sam (25 January 2010). "Vodafone, Truphone MVNO partnership announced". The Economy News. London. Archived from the original on 28 January 2010.
- "Truphone Launched First VoIP Client for Android on the Nexus One". Voip.about.com. 13 February 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Alicia (2 April 2010). "Truphone Launch Apple iPad App". Gadgetvenue.com. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Motorola il iDEN (18 June 2010). "Truphone Local Anywhere hits Spain and the Netherlands". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Motorola il iDEN (17 December 2010). "Tru launches its local rate-local number service in Australia". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Tru and Obsidian Wireless Partnership". Truphone. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Tru and Obsidian Wireless". Truphone. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Comunicano : Travel". Comunicano.typepad.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "One year on, Truphone launches mobile roaming service for Aussie globetrotters. - UPDATED". Itwire.com. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Borderless Bundles". Truphone. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011.
- "About Truphone". Lastminute.com.
- "Taping of mobile phones - Feedback on CP10/7 and final rules". Fsa.gov.uk. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Products". Truphone. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Behind the Scenes". Truphone. Archived from the original on 13 February 2011.
- "Technical Information". Truphone. Archived from the original on 3 November 2011.
- "Mobile VoIP from Tru". Truphone. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Why get Tru App?". Truphone. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Broida, Rick (28 April 2009). "Truphone 3.0 improves call quality, unifies IM | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews". Reviews.cnet.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Truphone Expands Suite of Applications to the Desktop and Laptop". Voip-phone-service.tmcnet.com. 6 December 2010. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Truphone App May Be Coming to Windows Phone 8". TruTower.com. 4 February 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Tru Anywhere". Truphone. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011.
- "Truphone VoIP Now Available For Blackberry". Bright Hub. 27 October 2008. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010.
- Tom Keating (12 September 2006). "Truphone SIP client for mobile phones with free calling". Blog.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Jones, Joey (27 February 2008). "Exclusive: Cops 'Cannot Tap Net Calls'". Sky News. Retrieved 26 July 2012.