Tullio Pozzan at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2018
|Education||University of Padua|
|Fields||Calcium in biology|
|Institutions||University of Padua|
National Research Council
University of Cambridge
|Influences||Roger Y. Tsien|
Career and research
Pozzan was a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Cambridge. He became a full Professor in 1986 and served as department chairman at the University of Padua for 12 years. His main scientific interest has been the study of Calcium in biology and its role in second messenger systems. His interests in calcium signaling (Ca2+) began with the characterization of Ca2+ uptake and release in mitochondria. In collaboration with Roger Y. Tsien, he participated to the development of the intracellular trappable fluorescent Ca2+ indicators. His research group developed the first genetically encoded probes with selective subcellular localization. This new approach lead to a series of discoveries on the mechanisms of calcium metabolism and in particular it revolutionized the understanding of mitochondrial role in cellular Ca2+ homeostasis. He is also interested in the signaling pathway controlled by cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). His group generated the first genetically encoded fluorescent cAMP probe, contributed to establishing the concept of cAMP microdomains and described the existence of an autonomous cAMP homeostatic mechanism within the matrix of mitochondria.
Awards and honours
Pozzan is member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO), of the Accademia dei Lincei, the National Academy of Sciences of the United States and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (FRSC). He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2018.
- "Find people in the EMBO Communities". people.embo.org.
- Anon (2018). "Professor Tullio Pozzan ForMemRS". London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 2016-11-11. Retrieved 2016-03-09.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Tullio Pozzan publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Tsien, Roger Y. (1982). "Calcium homeostasis in intact lymphocytes: cytoplasmic free calcium monitored with a new, intracellularly trapped fluorescent indicator". The Journal of Cell Biology. 94 (2): 325–334. doi:10.1083/jcb.94.2.325. ISSN 0021-9525. PMC 2112871. PMID 6980885.
- "Tullio Pozzan". nasonline.org.
|This biographical article about a scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|