Jenkins with the Atlanta Braves
|Born: July 20, 1992|
|June 22, 2016, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.88|
Jenkins was born on July 20, 1992 in Henderson, Texas, where he was raised by his mother, Sharon, his aunt, and his grandmother. Jenkins attended Henderson High School in his hometown, where he played basketball and was a highly ranked recruit in both baseball and American football. In January 2010, he committed to play both college baseball and college football at Baylor University.
St. Louis Cardinals
Jenkins made his professional debut in 2010 for the Johnson City Cardinals. He appeared in two games, allowing no runs over three innings pitched with two strikeouts. He returned to Johnson City in 2011 and had a 3.86 earned run average (ERA) with 55 strikeouts in 11 starts. Jenkins was personally invited to spring training by Cardinals manager Mike Matheny in 2012. He pitched that season for the Quad Cities River Bandits. He started 19 games with a 5.14 ERA and 80 strikeouts, before an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle ended his season. Jenkins started 2013 with the Peoria Chiefs and was promoted to the Palm Beach Cardinals during the season. His season came to an end in August after having surgery on his shoulder. He finished the year with a 4.70 ERA in 13 starts. Jenkins returned to Palm Beach to start the 2014 season. He didn't pitch his first game until June due to the injury from the previous year. In 13 starts he had a 3.28 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 74 innings. After the regular season, the Cardinals assigned Jenkins to the Arizona Fall League.
On November 17, 2014, the Cardinals traded Jenkins and Shelby Miller to the Atlanta Braves for Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden. Jenkins began the 2015 season with the Mississippi Braves. He played in 16 games and went 5-5 with a 3.00 ERA. He was promoted to the Gwinnett Braves of the Class AAA International League on July 9 and made his Triple A debut against the Norfolk Tides. Jenkins remained with Gwinnett for the rest of the year, finishing with a total of 25 starts, and a 3.19 ERA. He was named the Braves' Minor League Pitcher of the Year at the end of the season. Jenkins opened the 2016 season in Gwinnett's starting rotation, where he pitched 57 2⁄3 innings and recorded a 2.97 ERA. In June, he began pitching in relief, a move that was seen to increase the possibility of a promotion to the major leagues. On June 16, 2016, Jenkins was called up to the major leagues for the first time. He made his debut six days later against the Miami Marlins, throwing one scoreless inning in relief to finish the eighth inning. On July 6, Jenkins made his first major league start in place of Julio Teherán. He faced the Philadelphia Phillies, pitching 4 2⁄3 innings, while yielding one earned run. On July 29, 2016, Jenkins recorded his first Major League win against the Philadelphia Phillies giving up one unearned run, four hits, and four walks as well as recording four strikeouts through six innings. On August 20, he was sent down to Gwinnett. Jenkins was recalled on September 17.
San Diego Padres
On January 3, 2017, Jenkins was claimed by the San Diego Padres. He began the 2017 season with the El Paso Chihuahuas of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. He was released on July 21 after allowing 71 runs in less than 85 innings in the AAA level.
- Dykstra, Sam (June 12, 2015). "Jenkins' road from Draft project to prospect". MILB.com. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Wild, Danny (July 27, 2015). "Inspired Jenkins dominates for mom, Braves". MILB.com. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- "Jenkins faces future fork in the road". Henderson Daily News. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Henderson's Jenkins commits to Baylor". Henderson Daily News. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Cards high on athletic prep right-hander". MLB.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Goold, Derrick (August 13, 2010). "Report: Cardinals sign draft pick Jenkins". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Lee Enterprises. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Chartrand, Keith (August 15, 2015). "Choosing baseball over Baylor pays off for friend of RGIII". American Sports Network. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Goold, Derrick. "Prospect Jenkins turns heads at camp". St. Louis Post Dispatch. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Steve Batterson. "Bandits pitcher keeps eye on future". The Quad-City Times. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Emrich, Robert (February 5, 2015). "Q&A: Braves' Jenkins prepared for new start". MILB.com. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Cardinals' No. 8 prospect ready to wow Peoria". The Pantagraph. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Prospect Jenkins has season-ending shoulder surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Jenkins gives Jupiter the cold shoulder". MiLB.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Lee Enterprises. "Cardinals prospect Jenkins stepping up". stltoday.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark (November 17, 2014). "Braves acquire Miller, send Heyward, Walden to Cards". MLB.com. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- Smith, Alex M. (July 9, 2015). "Jenkins shuts down Norfolk in his Triple-A debut". MLB.com. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (September 10, 2015). "Jenkins, Smith lead Braves' Minors honors". MLB.com. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (June 3, 2016). "Jenkins' move to 'pen may speed path to Atlanta". MLB.com. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Sachs, Aimee (June 16, 2016). "Braves call up pitching prospect Jenkins". MLB.com. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (June 22, 2016). "Jenkins savors scoreless debut vs. Marlins". Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Webeck, Evan (July 5, 2016). "Teheran seeks treatment for thigh, will miss start". Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- Webeck, Evan (July 6, 2016). "Snitker pleased with Jenkins in 1st MLB start". MLB.com. Retrieved July 6, 2016.
- James, Pat (August 21, 2016). "Jenkins optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett after rough start". MLB.com. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- James, Pat (September 17, 2016). "Diet, hard work come to fruition for Ruiz". MLB.com. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (December 8, 2016). "Braves trade for RHP Jackson from Texas". Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Stevenson, Stefan (December 21, 2016). "Rangers reclaim lefty David Rollins from Phillies". Star Telegram. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Stevenson, Stefan (December 23, 2016). "Off-season carousel continues for Rangers, David Rollins". Star Telegram. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Adler, David (December 23, 2016). "Reds claim Shaffer, Jenkins off waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- "Ex-Braves prospect with fourth team in four weeks". Atlanta Journal Constitution. January 3, 2017. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Lin, Dennis (January 3, 2017). "Padres claim RHP Tyrell Jenkins off waivers". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tyrell Jenkins.|