|UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2|
The poster for UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 17, 2019|
A UFC Heavyweight Championship rematch between current champion Daniel Cormier and former champion Stipe Miocic served as the event's headliner. The pairing met previously at UFC 226 on July 7, 2018 when then UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Cormier knocked out Miocic in the first round to capture the heavyweight title.
A middleweight bout between former interim UFC Middleweight Championship challenger (as well as 2000 Olympic silver medalist and former world champion in freestyle wrestling) Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa was rescheduled for this event. The pairing was previously scheduled to take place at UFC 230, at UFC Fight Night: Cejudo vs. Dillashaw and again at UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson but was scrapped each time for various reasons.
A lightweight bout was scheduled between John Makdessi and Devonte Smith for the event. However, it was reported on July 30 that Makdessi was forced to withdraw for undisclosed reasons. Returning veteran Clay Collard was briefly linked as the replacement. In turn, Collard was removed from the bout during the week leading up to the event due to an undisclosed medical issue. Smith instead fought promotional newcomer Khama Worthy.
A flyweight bout was scheduled between Maryna Moroz and Poliana Botelho for the event. However, it was reported on August 1 that Moroz was forced to pull from the event citing injury. In early August, Botelho announced via social media that she was no longer participating in the event.
Manny Bermudez and Casey Kenney were originally scheduled to fight at bantamweight. However, the UFC decided to move the bout to a catchweight bout of 140 lbs due to Bermudez not being able to safely cut weight the night before weigh-ins. According to Kenney, he received a part of Bermudez's purse despite him not technically missing weight.
|Heavyweight||Stipe Miocic||def.||Daniel Cormier (c)||TKO (punches)||4||4:09||[a]|
|Welterweight||Nate Diaz||def.||Anthony Pettis||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Paulo Costa||def.||Yoel Romero||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Sodiq Yusuff||def.||Gabriel Benítez||TKO (punches)||1||4:14|
|Middleweight||Derek Brunson||def.||Ian Heinisch||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (ESPN)|
|Lightweight||Khama Worthy||def.||Devonte Smith||TKO (punches)||1||4:15|
|Bantamweight||Cory Sandhagen||def.||Raphael Assunção||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Drakkar Klose||def.||Christos Giagos||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (140 lbs)||Casey Kenney||def.||Manny Bermudez||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Women's Strawweight||Hannah Cifers||def.||Jodie Esquibel||Decision (unanimous) (30–28, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Kyung Ho Kang||def.||Brandon Davis||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Flyweight||Sabina Mazo||def.||Shana Dobson||Decision (unanimous) (30–24, 30–25, 30–25)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Paulo Costa vs. Yoel Romero
- Performance of the Night: Stipe Miocic and Khama Worthy
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $3,318,000.
- Stipe Miocic: $750,000 (no win bonus) def. Daniel Cormier: $500,000
- Nate Diaz: $250,000 (no win bonus) def. Anthony Pettis: $155,000
- Paulo Costa: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus) def. Yoel Romero: $150,000
- Sodiq Yusuff: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Benítez: $40,000
- Derek Brunson: $190,000 (includes $95,000 win bonus) def. Ian Heinisch: $25,000
- Khama Worthy: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Devonte Smith: $23,000
- Cory Sandhagen: $154,000 (includes $77,000 win bonus) def. Raphael Assunção: $79,000
- Drakkar Klose: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus) def. Christos Giagos: $28,000
- Casey Kenney: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Manny Bermudez: $20,000
- Hannah Cifers: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Jodie Esquibel: $10,000
- Kyung Ho Kang: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Davis: $21,000
- Sabina Mazo: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Shana Dobson: $12,000
- Stephie Haynes (2019-08-18). "UFC 241 post-fight bonuses: Romero-Costa war nabs FOTN honors". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Mike Bohn (2019-05-01). "Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 2 targeted for August after Dana White says Brock Lesnar retired". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-02.
- Newswire (2019-05-12). "UFC announces dates for third, fourth quarter of 2019, including returns to Sacramento, San Antonio, Mexico City". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Jose Youngs (2019-05-04). "Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 2 official for UFC 241 in Anaheim". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- Adam Hill (2018-07-07). "Daniel Cormier ends Stipe Miocic's title reign at UFC 226". reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-08-13.
- Jesse Holland (2019-05-07). "Yoel Romero vs Paulo Costa rebooked for UFC 241 in Anaheim". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- John Morgan (2019-07-30). "John Makdessi out at UFC 241, promotion seeking replacement opponent for Devonte Smith". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-07-31.
- Mike Bohn (2019-08-05). "Clay Collard replaces John Makdessi vs. Devonte Smith at UFC 241". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-05.
- Nolan King (2019-08-13). "Devonte Smith gets third opponent, draws promotional newcomer Khama Worthy at UFC 241". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-13.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-07-31). "Maryna Moroz out of UFC 241 fight with Poliana Botelho". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- Guilherme Cruz (2019-08-01). "Poliana Botelho removed from UFC 241 card after Maryna Moroz injury". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Cole Shelton (2019-08-16). "UFC 241 bout gets a change in weight class". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-16.
- Cole Shelton (2019-08-29). "Casey Kenney received part of opponent's purse in move to catchweight at UFC 241". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- Staff (2019-08-18). "Stipe Miocic ($750,000) and Daniel Cormier ($500,000) top UFC 241's $3.3 million payroll". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2019-08-18.