USS Protector (AGR-11)
|Namesake:||A guard or guardian|
|Ordered:||as type (Z-EC2-S-C5) hull, MCE hull 2346|
|Builder:||J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||31 January 1945, as Liberty ship SS Warren P. Marks|
|Launched:||15 March 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. E. M. Hinson|
|Acquired:||by the U.S. Navy in 1957|
|Commissioned:||20 February 1957 as USS Protector (YAGR-11)|
|Decommissioned:||28 July 1965, at Bayonne, New Jersey|
|Reclassified:||AGR-11, 28 October 1958|
|Refit:||converted to a Radar Picket Ship at Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Homeport:||Newport, Rhode Island|
|Identification:||IMO number: 8628341|
|Navy Expeditionary Medal (2-Cuba)|
|Fate:||scrapped, 30 November 2005|
|Type:||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Tons burthen:||11,365 tons|
|Installed power:||two electric generators|
|Propulsion:||Two 220 PSI boilers; Filer & Stowell Co., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, three cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engine; Single 4 blade, 18' 6" propeller; Shaft Horsepower, 2,500|
|Speed:||11 knots (20 km/h)|
|Capacity:||Fuel Oil, 443,646 gals; Diesel, 68,267 gals; Fresh Water, 15,082 gals; Ballast, 1,326,657 gals fresh water|
|Complement:||13 officers, 138 enlisted|
|Armament:||two 3 in (76 mm) guns|
USS Protector (AGR-11/YAGR-11) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1957 from the "mothballed" reserve fleet. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Atlantic Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Liberty ship built in Panama City, Florida
The third ship to be so named by the Navy, Protector (YAGR–11) wag laid down by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Wainwright Yards, Panama City, Florida, as Liberty ship SS Warren P. Marks (MCE hull 2346) 31 January 1945 ; launched 15 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. E. M. Hinson; and placed in service 29 March 1945.
Conversion to radar picket
Operated by the Shepard Steamship Co. from 1945 to 1957, Warren P. Marks was converted at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, and commissioned Protector (YAGR–11) 20 February 1957, Lt. Comdr. Glen G. Heller in command.
Radar picket duty
After shakedown off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Protector, homeported at [Davisville, Rhode Island]], reported to Commandant, 1st Naval District for administrative control and to Commander YAGR Division 21 for duty and was assigned as an Ocean Station Radar Picket Ship in the seaward extension of the Eastern Continental Air Defense Command Contiguous Radar Coverage System.
Continuing her duties off the U.S. East Coast, Protector was redesignated an AGR on 28 October 1958. She continued her radar picket duty until 1965. During the Cuban invasion in the spring of 1962 and the Cuban Missile Crisis in the fall, Protector operated in the Florida Straits and established a new radar picket station.
On 10 February 1965, Protector terminated picket duty as the last picket ship to man Radar Picket Station No. 15 of NORAD Contiguous Radar Coverage System.
On 28 July 1965 she decommissioned at Bayonne, New Jersey, and was placed in the U.S. Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet, Hudson River, New York, as an Emergency Relocation Center Ship, where she remained until she was towed to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard where her engine was removed. She was then placed for sale as scrap, with scrapping completed 30 November 2005.
Honors and awards
Protector personnel qualified for the following medals:
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
- NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - YAGR / AGR-11 Protector