Under Secretary of State for Management
Under Secretary of State
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Reports to||The Secretary of State|
|Nominator||The President of the United States|
|Inaugural holder||Donold Lourie|
The Under Secretary of State for Management is a position within the United States Department of State that serves as principal adviser to the Secretary of State and Deputy Secretary of State on matters relating to the allocation and use of Department of State budget, physical property, and personnel, including planning, the day-to-day administration of the Department, and proposals for institutional reform and modernization.
The Under Secretary is appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the United States Senate to serve at the request of the President. The most recent Under Secretary was Patrick F. Kennedy, who appointed on November 6, 2007 by President George W. Bush and then retained by President Barack Obama.
The Under Secretary of State for Management is the State Department's representative on the President's Management Council, and is the Department official responsible for implementing the President's Management Agenda.
In an Act of February 7, 1953, Congress created for a 2-year period the position of Under Secretary of State for Administration as the third ranking officer in the Department. The position was not renewed, however; and between 1955 and 1978, the ranking officer in the Department handling administration and management questions was either a Deputy Under Secretary or an Assistant Secretary of State. On October 7, 1978, an Act of Congress created the permanent position of Under Secretary of State for Management.
Officials reporting to the USS(M) include:
- Assistant Secretary of State for Administration
- Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs
- Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security
- Director General of the Foreign Service
- Department Comptroller
- Department Chief Information Officer
- Office of Management Policy, Rightsizing, and Innovation
- Office of Medical Services
The table below includes both the various titles of this post over time, as well as all the holders of those offices.
|Portrait||Name||Assuming Office||Left Office||President(s) served under|
|Under Secretary of State for Administration|
|Donold B. Lourie||February 16, 1953||March 5, 1954||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Charles E. Saltzman||June 29, 1954||December 31, 1954||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Under Secretary of State for Management|
|Benjamin H. Read||October 1, 1978||January 19, 1981||Jimmy Carter|
|Richard T. Kennedy||February 28, 1981||December 15, 1982||Ronald Reagan|
|Jerome W. Van Gorkom||December 22, 1982||October 14, 1983||Ronald Reagan|
|Ronald I. Spiers||November 23, 1983||May 15, 1989||Ronald Reagan|
George H. W. Bush
|Ivan Selin||May 23, 1989||June 23, 1991||George H. W. Bush|
|John F. W. Rogers||October 9, 1991||January 19, 1993||George H. W. Bush|
|J. Brian Atwood||April 1, 1993||May 10, 1993||Bill Clinton|
|Richard M. Moose||August 2, 1993||September 1, 1996||Bill Clinton|
|Bonnie R. Cohen||August 20, 1997||January 20, 2001||Bill Clinton|
|Grant S. Green, Jr.||March 30, 2001||February 4, 2005||George W. Bush|
|Henrietta H. Fore||August 2, 2005||November 15, 2007||George W. Bush|
|Patrick F. Kennedy||November 15, 2007||January 26, 2017||George W. Bush|
|Brian Bulatao||May 2019||Present||Donald Trump|
- "1 FAM 044 UNDER SECRETARY FOR MANAGEMENT (M)". Foreign Affairs Manual. U.S. Department of State. January 31, 2017. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Under Secretary for Management". Retrieved September 21, 2008.
- "Seventeen Nominations and One Withdrawal Sent to the Senate Today | The White House". The White House. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- U.S. Department of State Office of the Historian. "Under Secretaries of State for Management". Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- "Department of State Senior Officials". State Department. 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-29.