United Dairy Farmers
|Founder||Carl Lindner Sr.|
Number of locations
|Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana|
|Products||Homemade Brand Ice Cream|
United Dairy Farmers (UDF) is an American chain of shops offering dairy products as well as coffee and gasoline. UDF was started by Carl Lindner, Sr. and his children in 1938. Almost as soon as they started operations, the Lindners began work on building a dairy store. Carl, Sr. believed that if he could sell milk through his own store, he would not have to deal with delivery middlemen and thus pass the resulting savings on to customers. The first United Dairy Farmers store, at 3955 Main Avenue (now Montgomery Road) in Norwood, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati, opened on June 10, 1947
Today, the chain has stores throughout the Greater Cincinnati area as well as Dayton, and Columbus. Many UDF stores also operate a gas station and a convenience store. Since 2001, many locations have sold gasoline under the Mobil brand, but are now supplying their own fuels via purchasing through independent wholesalers.
UDF was sued in June 2013 by Wendy's International for a trademark dispute concerning their Frosty treats, claiming UDF and their Homemade brand were creating a ripoff product called Frosties that used the similar yellow and red colors of their Frosty. The companies settled out of court, with UDF ceasing to use the Frosties name and destroy the packaging.
In April 2017, UDF left the Cleveland market and sold its four stores to Uptown Mart. In the Summer of 2017, UDF teamed up with Cincinnati brewery Rhinegeist and released a beer flavored ice cream called Tropical Truth, using Rhinegeist Truth IPA.
- Homemade Brand anything but homebound
- Dispatch, Mary Vanac, The Columbus. "Wendy's sues UDF over Frosty trademark". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Wendy's, Ice Cream Maker Settle 'Frosty' Infringement Fight - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "United Dairy Farmers Exits Cleveland Market | Convenience Store News". csnews.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Rhinegeist beer ice cream coming to UDF". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
|This food and/or confectionery corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|