|Comune di Usellus|
|• Mayor||Felice Atzori|
|• Total||35.07 km2 (13.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||289 m (948 ft)|
|• Density||22/km2 (56/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Usellus is in the interior of Sardinia, about 25 kilometres (16 mi) from the Gulf of Oristano on the west coast, and the same distance south of Forum Trajani (modern Fordongianus). Its name is not found in the Itineraries, and the only ancient author who mentions it is Ptolemy, with the name Οὔσελλις, who erroneously places it on the west coast of the island: but the existing ruins, together with the continuity of the name, leave no doubt of its true situation. It is about 5 kilometres (3 mi) northeast of the modern town of Ales.
Ptolemy styles it a colonia, and this is confirmed by an inscription on a bronze tablet of AD 158 (a tabula patronatus, setting forth that M. Aristius Balbinus had accepted the position of patron of the town for himself and his heirs) that speaks of the place as Colonia Julia Augusta Uselis. It would hence appear probable that the colony must have been founded under Augustus, though Pliny asserts that Turris Libisonis (modern Porto Torres) was the only colony in Sardinia at his time (79 CE, hence after Augustus' reign) It may be that civic rights were obtained from Augustus.
- The ruins of the church of Santa Reparata have been conserved. It marks the site of the ancient town, and various antiquities have been found there.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Richard Talbert, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, (ISBN 0-691-03169-X), Map 48.
- Ptolemy, iii. 3. § 2
- Pliny the Elder, H.N. iii.85
- De la Marmora, Voy. en Sardaigne, vol. ii. pp. 367, 466.
- Mommsen, Corp. Inscr. Lat. x. p. 816
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Uselis". Encyclopædia Britannica. 27 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 809.
- "IterrCost - Church of Santa Reparata". Retrieved April 2014. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Usellus.|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). . Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.
- GCatholic - Diocese with incumbent bio links
|This Sardinia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|