Click the search icon in the toolbar or press Alt-Shift-F (or Meta-Shift-F) to get the SearchBox. See Installation below.
- Search and replace terms one at a time, forward or backward.
- Replace all occurrences of the search term at once. This feature operates inside selected text, otherwise it covers the entire edit box.
- Case sensitive or case insensitive searches.
- The tool overrides the "edit box has full width" setting in preferences, under editing. This will probably shrink your edit box in width. Unfortunately, it seems that it's necessary for the tool to be able to show the found text in the textbox. A partial workaround is to increase the size of the editing window at Preferences → Editing, to have more columns .
- The found text may sometimes still be outside the edit box. Scroll up and down a bit to find it.
Save the file. You will notice that this line is automatically substituted (replaced) when the file is saved, and new version is displayed, showing:
Those lines are the expected results of the earlier substitution, which is permanent. (There may be other parts not shown that are comments, starting with "
//" characters, which may also install alongside their associated code.)
To uninstall the script delete only the lines you saw above, or just "undo" from the page history. A new edit sessions will then not show the icon.
The code is available under GPL at User:Zocky/SearchBox.js.