This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal corporation|
|• Body||Nagar Palika|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Uthukottai is a border town and panchayat town in Tamil Nadu, next to Andhra Pradesh, located on the banks of the Arani river. The town features a channel which helps to direct water from the Krishna river for local irrigation.
The village of Surutapalli, where a famous Shiva temple is located, is nearby. This is the only place in the world where the lord Shiva is depicted in a sleeping posture with his wife, the goddess Parvati.
In the 2001 India census, Uthukkottai had a population of 10,639. Males constituted 50% of the population and females 50%. Uthukkottai had an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 76%, and female literacy was 59%. In 2001 in Uthukkottai, 12% of the population was under 6 years of age.
In the 2011 census, Uthukkottai recorded 12,623 inhabitants. Uthukottai has 5 schools. Of them, three are matriculation schools and two are government school. Uthukottai is easily connected by MTC bus. In fact, it is the shortest route to reach Tirupati.
- Vivekanada Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Don Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Visweshwara Matriculation School
- Chennai Vidyalaya Matric School
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "NPR Report: Tamil Nadu: Thiruvallur: Uthukkottai". National Population Register, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Archived from the original on 27 April 2013.