Bertinelli receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in August 2012
Valerie Anne Bertinelli
April 23, 1960
Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.
Eddie Van Halen
(m. 1981; div. 2007)
|Children||Wolfgang Van Halen|
Valerie Anne Bertinelli (born April 23, 1960) is an American actress and television personality. She is known for her roles as Barbara Cooper Royer on the sitcom One Day at a Time (1975–84), Gloria on the religious drama series Touched by an Angel (2001–03) and Melanie Moretti on the sitcom Hot in Cleveland (2010–15). Since 2015, she has hosted the cooking shows Valerie's Home Cooking and Kids Baking Championship on Food Network.
Bertinelli was born in Wilmington, Delaware to Nancy (née Carvin) and Andrew Bertinelli, a General Motors executive. Her father is of Italian descent and her mother is of English descent. She has three brothers: David, Patrick and Drew. She had an elder brother, Mark, who died at 17 months from an accidental poisoning before she was born. Because of her father's career, the family frequently moved. Over various periods, they lived in Claymont, Delaware; Clarkston, Michigan; Shreveport, Louisiana; Oklahoma City and the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles, California, where Bertinelli studied acting at the Tami Lynn School of Artists. She attended Granada Hills High School. She was raised Roman Catholic.
Following her appearance in an episode of Apple's Way, Bertinelli was approached by producer Norman Lear to audition for the role of cooperative daughter Barbara Cooper in a new sitcom called One Day at a Time. The show debuted in late 1975 when Bertinelli was 15 years old. She appeared in 208 of the 209 episodes before the show left the air on May 28, 1984.
In the 2005 One Day at a Time Reunion Special, Bertinelli was reunited with fellow cast members Bonnie Franklin, Mackenzie Phillips and Pat Harrington, Jr. to watch memorable clips from the original show's nine seasons. They talked about actors who had left the show as well as Phillips' drug problem, which had wreaked havoc on the set and caused Phillips to be fired from the show.
After the run of One Day at a Time, Bertinelli starred in several made-for-TV movies and miniseries, as well as making many guest appearances on various television shows.
In 2001, Bertinelli joined the cast of Touched by an Angel for the show's last two seasons.
From 2010 to 2015, she starred in the TV Land sitcom Hot in Cleveland, alongside Betty White, Wendie Malick and Jane Leeves. After a successful six-season run, the show's final episode aired on June 3, 2015.
Weight struggles and Jenny Craig
Bertinelli, who has struggled with her weight, lost a total of 40 lb (18 kg) using the Jenny Craig weight loss program. She later became a spokesperson for the program and appeared in several Jenny Craig commercials. Although Bertinelli was compensated for her Jenny Craig appearances, she considered herself a health and weight-loss activist rather than a hired weight-loss spokesperson.
In 2008 she released the autobiography Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time, which culminates in a description of her Jenny Craig experience. In 2009 she wrote a follow-up book Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge.
In 2015, Bertinelli began hosting two shows, Valerie's Home Cooking and Kids Baking Championship with cake artist Duff Goldman on the Food Network. The kids show follows young children as they bake pastries and other desserts.
In 2019, Bertinelli began hosting Family Food Showdown, also on the Food Network.
On August 22, 2012, Bertinelli received the 2,476th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. On May 5, 2019, Bertinelli won two Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Culinary Program and Outstanding Culinary Host. Both awards were for Valerie's Home Cooking.
Bertinelli married Eddie Van Halen on April 11, 1981. They have a son, Wolfgang (born March 16, 1991). The couple separated in 2001 and divorced on December 20, 2007. In her autobiography, Bertinelli indicated the main reasons for her divorce were her husband's cocaine addiction and his refusal to quit smoking despite being diagnosed with oral cancer and losing one-third of his tongue in the treatment process.
In May 2010, Bertinelli announced her engagement to financial planner Tom Vitale, with whom she had begun a relationship in 2004. They were married on January 1, 2011 in Malibu, California, with Bertinelli in a custom-made dress by designer David Meister. Both her ex-husband, Eddie, and her son, Wolfgang Van Halen, attended the wedding.
|1974||Apple's Way||Peggy||Episode: "The Flag"|
|1975–84||One Day at a Time||Barbara Cooper Royer||Won – Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film (1981, 1982) |
Nominated – Young Artist Award – Best Young Comedienne (1981)
TV Land Award – Favorite Singing Siblings (2005)
|1977||Battle of the Network Stars III||Herself on the CBS Team||ABC Special|
|1978||The CBS Festival of Lively Arts for Young People||Mamie Dickens||Episode: "The Secret of Charles Dickens"|
|1978||The Hardy Boys||Wendy Chase/Gwynn||Episode: "Campus Terror"|
|1978||The Magic of David Copperfield||Herself||CBS special|
|1979||Young Love, First Love||Robin Gibson||TV movie|
|1979||The Magic of David Copperfield II||Herself||CBS special|
|1980||The Promise of Love||Kathy Wakeman||TV movie|
|1981||The Princess and the Cabbie||Joanna James||TV movie|
|1982||I Was a Mail Order Bride||Katarine "Kate" Tosconi||TV movie|
|1984||The Seduction of Gina||Gina Breslin||TV movie|
|1984||Shattered Vows||Mary Gilligan||TV movie|
|1985||Silent Witness||Anna Dunne||TV movie|
|1986||Ordinary Heroes||Maria||TV movie|
|1986||Faerie Tale Theatre||Princess Sabrina||Episode: "Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp"|
|1986||Rockabye||Susannah Bartok||TV movie|
|1987||Number One with a Bullet||Teresa Barzak|
|1987||I'll Take Manhattan||Maxime "Maxi" Amberville (Cipriani)||TV miniseries|
|1988||Pancho Barnes||Pancho Barnes||TV movie|
|1989||Taken Away||Stephanie Monroe||TV movie|
|1990||Sydney||Sydney Kells||13 episodes|
|1991||In a Child's Name||Angela Cimarelli||TV movie|
|1992||What She Doesn't Know||Molly Kilcoin||a.k.a. Shades of Gray|
|1993||Murder of Innocence||Laurie Wade||TV movie|
|1993–94||Café Americain||Holly Aldridge||18 episodes|
|1995||The Haunting of Helen Walker||Helen Walker||TV movie|
|1996||A Case for Life||Kelly Porter||TV movie|
|1996||Two Mothers for Zachary||Jody Ann Shaffell||TV movie|
|1997||Night Sins||SBI Agent Megan O'Malley||TV movie|
|2000||Personally Yours||Susannah Stanton||TV movie aka Wilderness Love|
|Touched by an Angel||Gloria||59 episodes|
|2001||Family Guy||Herself (as TV Bonnie)||Episode: "Ready, Willing and Disabled"|
|2003||Crazy Love||Wife||TV movie|
|2003||Finding John Christmas||Kathleen McAllister||TV movie|
|2004||Saved!||Cameo (as herself)|
|2007||Claire||Claire Bannion||TV movie|
|2008||True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet||Aunt Trudy||TV movie|
|2008||Boston Legal||Carol Hober||Episode: "Mad Cows"|
|2010–15||Hot in Cleveland||Melanie Moretti||Main role|
Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
|2013||Hollywood Game Night||Herself||Episode: "Don't Kill My Buzz-er"|
|2013||Iron Chef America||Herself (as a judge)||Episode: "Battle Oktoberfest"|
|2014||Signed, Sealed, Delivered||Rebecca Starkwell||2 episodes|
|2015||Cutthroat Kitchen||Herself/guest judge||Episode: "Who Tarted?"|
|2015–||Valerie's Home Cooking||Herself/host|
|2015–||Kids Baking Championship||Herself/host and judge|
|2016||Food Network Star||Herself/guest judge||Episode 12.1|
|2019||Family Food Showdown||Herself/host|
- Valerie Bertinelli on IMDb
- Stated on Who Do You Think You Are?, August 13, 2014
- Bertinelli, Valerie (2008). Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time. Free Press.
- "Vacations in California travel Guide". things-to-do granada-hillsl. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Grant, Meg. "One Dream at a Time". AARP.org. AARP. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick will be 'Hot in Cleveland'=Cleveland.com". January 14, 2010. Retrieved January 14, 2010.
- Littleton, Cynthia (March 16, 2010). "Betty White gets regular gig on sitcom". Variety. Retrieved March 17, 2010.
- "Valerie Bertinelli Says She Was 'Unconsciously and Emotionally Eating' But 'I've Woken Back Up'". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- Leonard, Elizabeth (March 25, 2009). "Valerie Bertinelli Back in Bikini for 49th Birthday!". People. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- "Excerpt: 'Losing It -- And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time'". abcnews.go.com. November 18, 2008.
- "Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge". publishersweekly.com.
- "Kids Baking Championship Episodes". Food Network. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- Kids Baking Championship, Duff Goldman, Valerie Bertinelli, Alex Czajka, retrieved August 8, 2018CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Valerie Bertinelli receives star on Hollywood Walk of Fame". Daily News. August 22, 2012.
- "2019 Daytime Emmy Awards: The winners". USA TODAY. May 6, 2019. Retrieved May 7, 2019.
- "Eddie Van Halen and Valerie Bertinelli divorce". CNN. Associated Press. December 21, 2007. Archived from the original on December 23, 2007. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Lee, Ken. "Valerie Bertinelli, Eddie Van Halen Divorce Finalized BY KEN LEE". People. Time, Inc. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- ABC News. "Entertainment News, Celebrity and Pop Culture – ABC News". ABC News.
- Leonard, Elizabeth (January 4? 2011). "EXCLUSIVE: See Valerie Bertinelli's Wedding Dress". PEOPLE. Retrieved March 1, 2019. Check date values in:
- Jenny Craig Success Story Valerie Bertinelli Completes the Boston Marathon from TradingMarkets.com
- "Breaking News - Valerie Bertinelli Reunites with "Touched by an Angel" Executive Producer Martha Williamson for Hallmark Channel's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," A New, Original Primetime Series Premiering April 20, 2014 - TheFutonCritic.com". Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Dye, David. Child and Youth Actors: Filmography of Their Entire Careers, 1914–1985. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 1988, p. 18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Valerie Bertinelli.|