Shwetambar Jain temple
|• Body||Chennai Corporation|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai North|
|Civic agency||Chennai Corporation|
Vepery is among those oldest neighbourhoods developed during the British settlement in the city of Madras. Christian missionaries started arriving in the neighbourhood as early as 1749, soon after the treaty of Aix la Chapelle when the city was restored to the English from the French. The Vepery Mission is the oldest mission connected with the Church of England in India.
In 1828, St. Matthias Church was built, making it the second oldest Anglican Church after St. Mary's Church at Fort St. George. The church was officially consecrated on St. Matthias day in 1842 by the officiating Bishop Spencer of Madras.
On 1 March 1855, the Madras Parental Academic Institution and Doveton College were established at Vepery within the local limits of the then city of Madras. The surrounding area of Doveton acquired its name after Capt. John Doveton, who served as a captain commandant of the Seventh Regiment of Infantry.
Major landmarks include:
- Periyar Thidal
- Office of the Commissioner of Police
- Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)
- Doveton Tower Clock
- Madras Veterinary College
- P.T.Lee Chengalvaraya Naicker Polytechnic College
- St. Christopher's College of Education
- St. Matthias Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School
- The Doveton Corrie Group of Schools comprising the Doveton Girls' Higher Secondary School, the Doveton Boys' Higher Secondary School, the Doveton Matriculation Higher Secondary School, which is co- educational School and the Doveton Oakley School for kindergarten education.
- Bentinck Higher Secondary School for Girls
- St. Joseph Anglo Indian Boys Higher Secondary School
- St Aloysius Anglo Indian Girls Higher Secondary School
- St. Pauls Higher Secondary School
- Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Baynes Memorial Baptist Church School
Important streets include
- Vepery High Road
- Jermiah Road
- Barracks Road
- EVK Sampath Road
- Maddox Street
- Brethapeat Road
- Westcott, A. (1897). "Our Oldest Indian Mission: A Brief History of the Vepery (Madras) Mission". Madras Diocesan Committee of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Our History". Doveton Corrie Protestant Schools Association. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- Selvaraj, A. (16 July 2011). "CM to open police head office in Vepery". The Times of India. Chennai: The Times Group. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
|This Chennai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|