|No. 28 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Born:||June 3, 1995|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||204 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Wharton (Tampa, Florida)|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 1 / Pick: 11|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 9, 2019|
Vernon Hargreaves III (born June 3, 1995) is an American football cornerback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted 11th overall by the Buccaneers in the 2016 NFL Draft. He played college football at Florida.
Hargreaves attended Wharton High School in Tampa, Florida, where he played football. As a sophomore in 2010, he had 44 tackles, two sacks, and two interceptions. As a junior in 2011, he had 49 tackles and two interceptions, along with 11 offensive touchdowns. As a senior in 2012, he had 110 tackles and five interceptions. He was recognized as the most valuable player (MVP) of the 2013 Under Armour All-America Game.
In addition to football, Hargreaves competed in track & field at Wharton. As a senior in 2012, he posted a personal-best time of 22.56 seconds in the 200-meter dash at the Hillsborough County National Division. At the FHSAA District Meet, he placed fourth in the 100-meter dash (11.10 s), second in the long jump (22 ft 3 1⁄2 in or 6.79 m) and twelfth in the high jump (5 ft 10 in or 1.78 m).
Hargreaves accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he has played for head coaches Will Muschamp and Jim McElwain's Florida Gators football teams in Southeastern Conference (SEC) competition in 2013, 2014, and 2015. As a true freshman in 2013, he started 10 of 12 games, recording 38 tackles and three interceptions, and received first-team All-SEC honors at the cornerback position. As a sophomore, he played 12 games with three interceptions, 13 passes defended, and two fumble recoveries on 50 tackles. As a junior, he made four interceptions, a forced fumble, and four passes defended on 33 tackles in 12 games. After his junior year, he announced his intentions forgo his senior season and enter the 2016 NFL Draft.
|Year||Team||Games Played||Total Tackles||Tackles For Loss||Passes Defended||Interceptions||Forced Fumbles|
|College Career Totals||41||121||3.0||27||10||1|
Hargreaves was projected to be a first round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked the top cornerback prospect in the draft by DraftScout.com and NFL analyst Daniel Jeremiah, was ranked the second best cornerback in the draft by NFL analysts Mike Mayock, Lance Zierlein, and Bucky Brooks, and was ranked the second best defensive back in the draft by Sports Illustrated and NFL analyst Charles Davis.
|Hargreaves' NFL Combine Workout|
|Vernon Hargreaves' 40-yard dash|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 1⁄2 in
|30 5⁄8 in
|8 3⁄4 in
|4.50 s||1.58 s||2.62 s||3.98 s||39 in
|10 ft 10 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Hargreaves in the first round (11th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. He was the third cornerback to be selected and the first of seven Florida Gators in 2016.
|Buccaneers draft Hargreaves 11th overall|
|Vernon Hargreaves' Draft Interview|
Throughout training camp, he participated in an open competition to name a starting cornerback against Brent Grimes, Johnthan Banks, Alterraun Verner, Jude Adjei-Barimah, and Joel Ross. Head coach Dirk Koetter named Hargreaves the third cornerback on the depth chart, behind Brent Grimes and Alterraun Verner.
He made his professional regular season debut and first career start in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' season-opener at the Atlanta Falcons and recorded two combined tackles during a 31–24 victory. He made his first career tackle on wide receiver Justin Hardy in the first quarter. On October 30, 2016, Hargreaves collected a season-high eight solo tackles and two pass deflections during a 30–24 overtime loss to the Oakland Raiders in Week 8. In Week 14, Hargreaves made three solo tackles, broke up a pass, and made his first career interception off a pass by Drew Brees in the Buccaneers' 16–11 victory against the New Orleans Saints. He finished his rookie season with 76 combined tackles (68 solo), nine pass deflections, and an interception in 16 games and 16 starts.
Head coach Dirk Koetter retained Grimes and Hargreaves as the starting cornerbacks to begin the 2017 regular season. On October 1, 2017, Hargreaves recorded a career-high nine solo tackles and deflected a pass during a 25–23 victory against the New York Giants in Week 4. In Week 8, he tied his season-high of two pass deflections and recorded six combined tackles during a 17–3 loss to the Carolina Panthers. On November 12, 2017, Hargreaves made three combined tackles before exiting the Buccaneers' 15–10 win against the New York Jets in the third quarter after sustaining a hamstring injury. He was inactive for the next five games (Weeks 11–15) before the Buccaneers opted to place him on injured reserve on December 20, 2017. He finished his second season with 42 combined tackles (37 solo) and five pass deflections in nine games and eight starts.
In Week 1, Hargreaves recorded seven combined tackles, one pass defensed and forced a fumble that was recovered by Justin Evans and returned for a touchdown. He suffered a shoulder injury in the game and was placed on injured reserve on September 12, 2018.
On April 24, 2019, the Buccaneers exercised the fifth-year option on Hargreaves contract. In Week 1 against the San Francisco 49ers, Hargreaves intercepted Jimmy Garoppolo and returned it 15 yards for a touchdown in the 31-17 loss. In Week 2 against the Carolina Panthers, Hargreaves made 12 tackles, including making a pivotal stop during fourth down by pushing running back Christian McCaffrey out of bounds short of the first down marker in a 20-14 win. 
- "Florida high school sports – Under Armour All-America Game: Vernon Hargreaves III takes on nation, emerges triumphant for Tampa Bay".
- "Hillsborough County National Division (Western Conference)". flrunners.com.
- "FHSAA 4A District 6". flrunners.com.
- "Vernon Hargreaves III".
- "Cornerback Vernon Hargreaves shining star in Florida's 2013 disappointment". timesfreepress.com.
- Coaches tab Gators freshman Vernon Hargreaves first-team All-SEC Archived December 15, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- "Vernon Hargreaves officially leaving Florida Gators for NFL draft". tampabay.com.
- "*Vernon Hargreaves, DS No. 1 CB, Florida". draftscout.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Burke, Chris (April 12, 2016). "2016 NFL Draft Rankings". SI.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Mayock, Mike (April 27, 2016). "Mike Mayock's 2016 NFL Draft position rankings 5.0". NFL.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Jeremiah, Daniel (February 18, 2016). "Ranking top 50 prospects for 2016 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Davis, Charles (March 4, 2016). "Charles Davis' top 50 prospects for 2016 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Zierlein, Lance (March 4, 2016). "Lance Zierlein's top 50 prospects for 2016 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Brooks, Bucky (March 4, 2016). "Bucky Brooks' top 50 prospects for 2016 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles – Vernon Hargreaves". National Football League.
- "*Vernon Hargreaves III – Florida, CB : 2016 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile".
- "Buccaneers sign No. 11 pick CB Vernon Hargreaves". NFL.com. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- "2016 NFL Draft Results: Buccaneers pick Vernon Hargreaves". BucsNation.com. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- "2016 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Vernon Hargreaves contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved April 21, 2018.
- "Conor Competition Looming for Buccaneers". buccaneers.com. Retrieved April 21, 2018.
- Phillips, Sander (September 6, 2016). "Buccaneers'2016 depth chart: Vernon Hargreaves shares starting job". bucsnation.com. Retrieved April 21, 2018.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Atlanta Falcons – September 11th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Oakland Raiders at Tampa Bay Buccaneers – October 30th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "New Orleans Saints at Tampa Bay Buccaneers – December 11th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Vernon Hargreaves Career Game Log". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "NFL Player stats: Vernon Hargreaves (2017)". Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Smith, Scott (December 20, 2017). "Standout Rookies Among Five Bucs Headed to IR". Buccaneers.com. Archived from the original on December 23, 2017.
- Smith, Scott (September 12, 2018). "Bucs Lose Vernon Hargreaves to Injured Reserve". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (April 24, 2019). "Bucs Exercise Fifth-Year Option on Vernon Hargreaves". Buccaneers.com. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- "Bucs use goal-line stand to beat Panthers 20-14". www.espn.com. Associated Press. September 13, 2019. Retrieved September 13, 2019.