Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (Canada)
|Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
Vice-chef d’état-major de la Défense
Badge of the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
Flag of the Canadian Forces
|Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces|
|Reports to||Chief of the Defence Staff|
|First holder||Geoffrey Walsh|
|Deputy||DG Executive Coordination|
Chief of Staff VCDS
The Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS; French: Vice-chef d’état-major de la Défense) is the third most senior member of the Canadian Armed Forces, reporting to the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) as well as the Deputy Minister of National Defence. The Directorate General Executive Coordination, the Canadian Forces Provost Marshal, the National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group and several other departments report to the VCDS, who is appointed by the CDS.
Vice-Admiral Mark Norman was temporarily relieved as VCDS on January 13, 2017, due to an ongoing investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. As a temporary replacement, Vice-Admiral Ron Lloyd was appointed the duties of VCDS on an acting basis, and he was subsequently replaced by Lieutenant-General Alain Parent on May 30, 2017.
On July 16, 2018, Lieutenant-General Paul Wynnyk was named Vice Chief of the Defence Staff. On July 9, 2019, Wynnyk announced his retirement after he claimed that the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Jonathan Vance, planned to replace him as Vice Chief of the Defence Staff with Vice-Admiral Mark Norman. Wynnyk then claimed these plans were reversed when Vice-Admiral Norman settled with the government and retired from the military. Wynnyk was the fifth Vice Chief to serve under Vance.
Vice Chiefs of the Defence Staff
- "VCDS - Organization". Vcds.forces.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "National Defence Act". Department of Justice. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "Updated – Vice Chief of the Defence Staff Mark Norman removed from command". Ottawa Citizen. 2017-01-17. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- Defence, Government of Canada, National. "National Defence | Canadian Armed Forces | Article | New A/VCDS to assume position May 30". www.forces.gc.ca. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "New Commander for the Canadian Army: changes in the Canadian army command". July 16, 2018. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Change to the senior ranks of the Canadian Armed Forces
- "Vice-chief of defence staff resigns, citing plan Mark Norman was to replace him - National | Globalnews.ca". globalnews.ca. July 9, 2019.
- "Lanthier to become Vice Chief of the Defence Staff". Canadian Army. July 12, 2019. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Army cadet league" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Robert Moncel Generals.dk
- DND Language Reform: Staffing the Bilingualism Programs 1967-1977
- 427 Squadron Association
- Admiral Robert Hilborn Falls CMM, CD
- Ramsey Muir Withers
- Gérard-Charles-Édouard Thériault The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Vice-Admiral Daniel Nicholas Mainguy, CMM, CD, RCN (Retd)
- Lieutenant-General J.E. "Jack" Vance, CMM, CD (Ret'd) Passes Archived October 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine Royal Canadian Regiment
- General John De Chastelain, OC, CMM, CD, CH, LL.D., BA Army Cadet History
- Charles Thomas The Nauticapedia
- 8 Wing / CFB Trenton to host leadership seminar The Contact, March 27, 2009
- John Rogers Anderson The Nauticapedia
- Patrick O'Donnell CFN Consultants
- Parliament of Canada Evidence, October 29, 1996
- Vice Admiral (Retired) Gary L. Garnett, CMM CD Senate Committee for National Security and Defence
- George MacDonald CFN Consultants
- "Ron Buck, CMM, CD" (PDF). Navy League of Canada. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Walter Natynczyk". NATO. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Rear-Admiral Denis Rouleau is Announced as Next Vice Chief of the Defence Staff for the Canadian Forces
- Vice-Admiral Bruce Donaldson Assumes Role as Vice Chief of the Defence Staff
- Lieutenant-General Guy Thibault assumes role as Vice Chief of the Defence Staff Archived October 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Tasker, John Paul (19 January 2016). "Top ranks of Canadian Forces get shake-up with new army, navy commanders". CBC News. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Lt.-Gen. Lanthier named as new vice chief, more generals promoted". Ottawa Citizen. 12 July 2019. Retrieved 18 July 2019.