|Died||May 2, 1972 (aged 71)|
|Known for||Radioisotope studies of plant nutrition.|
Rule for ordering atomic orbital energies.
Vsevolod Mavrikievich Klechkovsky (Russian: Все́волод Маври́киевич Клечко́вский; also transliterated as Klechkovskii and Klechkowski; November 28, 1900 – May 2, 1972) was a Soviet-era agricultural chemist known for his work with radioisotopes.
He graduated in 1929 from the Moscow agricultural academy and worked there from 1930. He became a professor in 1955, and an academician of the All-Union Academy of Agricultural Sciences of the Soviet Union (known as VASKhNIL) in 1956.
His use of isotopic labeling in the advance of soil chemistry led to his being considered a founder of agricultural radiology. He was one of the first to study plant nutrition using radioisotopes, for which he received the Stalin Prize in 1952 along with his academy co-workers. He studied the behavior of heavy nuclei daughter isotopes in soils.
Klechkovsky also studied theoretical chemistry, and proposed a theoretical justification of the empirical Madelung rule for the ordering of atomic orbital energies. This rule is therefore sometimes called Klechkovsky's rule, especially in Russian and in French sources.
- Newsletter of the International Union of Radioecology Archived 2008-05-09 at the Wayback Machine #43, September 2005, "The XXXIII annual radioecological readings were held in Obninsk, October 21, 2004, and were dedicated to the memory of V.M. Klechkovsky (1900-1972), one of the founders of agricultural radiology."
- Radiation Risk Estimates in Normal and Emergency Situations: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Impact of Radiation Risk Estimates in Normal and Emergency Situations, Yerevan, Armenia, September 8-11 2005; ed. Arrigno A. Cigna and Marco Durante; Springer
- Review of Nuclear Disaster in the Urals by Zhores A. Medvedev in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, April 1980
- Klechkovsky, V. M. Zh. Exsperim. i Teor. Fiz., 41.465 (1962). [Translation: Soviet Physics J. Expt, and Theor. Phys. 14,334 (1962)]
- Wong, D. Pan (1979). "Theoretical justification of Madelung's rule" (PDF). J. Chem. Educ. 56 (11): 714–18. Bibcode:1979JChEd..56..714W. doi:10.1021/ed056p714.