|Broadcast area||Tuscaloosa, Alabama|
|Branding||105.1 The Block|
|Slogan||Bama's #1 for Hip-Hop and R&B|
|First air date||September 26, 2011|
|HAAT||154.1 meters (506 ft)|
|Owner||Townsquare Media |
(Townsquare Media Tuscaloosa License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WFFN, WQRR, WTUG-FM, WTBC, WTSK|
WALJ (105.1 FM) is an American radio station which has applied to be licensed to serve Northport, Alabama, United States. The station is owned by Townsquare Broadcasting and serves the Tuscaloosa, Alabama, area.
In June 2011, Apex Broadcasting applied to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a construction permit for a new broadcast radio station. The FCC granted this permit on July 19, 2011, with a scheduled expiration date of July 19, 2014. The new station was assigned call sign "WALJ" on July 27, 2011.
On September 26, 2011, WALJ signed on the air with a mainstream urban radio format, branded as "105.1 Jamz". The FCC has accepted the station's formal license application and WALJ is operating under program test authority.
On July 20, 2012, Cox Radio, Inc. announced that the programming rights of WALJ would be turned over to SummitMedia for $66.25 million as part of a 22-station sale. The transfer/sale was consummated on May 3, 2013.
On June 5, 2019, Townsquare Media announced that it would acquire WALJ. To comply with FCC ownership rules, Townsquare would sell WTID to Educational Media Foundation. Upon closing of the sale on August 1, 2019, the station would rebrand as "105.1 The Block". WALJ will carry the Rickey Smiley Morning Show in mornings and, with the rebrand, brought in former WGPR and WQNC midday host Ally 'Ally The Pub’ Washington for afternoons under the on-air name of ‘Ally Lynn’.
- "Application Search Details (BNPH-20110617ACL)". FCC Media Bureau. July 19, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Call Sign History". FCC Media Bureau. July 27, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Townsquare Buys And Sells In Tuscaloosa". RadioInsight. 5 June 2019.
- "Townsquare Sets 105.1 The Block Tuscaloosa Launch For August 1". RadioInsight. 7 June 2019.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WALJ
- Radio-Locator information on WALJ
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WALJ
|This article about a radio station in Alabama is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|