|City||New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Broadcast area||New Orleans metropolitan area|
|Slogan||New Orleans' Classic Rock|
|Frequency||95.7 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||February 1953(as WWMT)|
HD2: Heavy metal
|HAAT||300 metres (980 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||Former city of license was Kenner, Louisiana and a reference to Louisiana's BayoU|
|Former callsigns||WWMT (1953–1971)|
(Entercom License, LLC)
WKBU (95.7 FM, "Bayou 95.7") is a radio station licensed to New Orleans. Owned by Entercom, it broadcasts a classic rock format. It shares studios with its sister stations at 400 Poydras Tower in downtown New Orleans, and the transmitter site is in the city's Algiers district.
The station broadcasts in HD Radio; its second subchannel carries Metal Militia—a heavy metal-based format which changed its name in 2018 from The Metal Channel. The subchannel previously carried Live Rock.
Before October 2005, the station was oldies WTKL. WTKL was at one time beautiful music WBYU (called Bayou 96) before going through a succession of ill-fated formats from country as WQXY (Y-96) from 1987 to 1990 and adult contemporary as WMXZ (Mix 95.7) from 1990 to 1993 before settling on an oldies format that lasted for 12 years as Kool 95.7 FM.
- "Entercom Launches All-Metal HD2 In Six Markets". RadioInsight. 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Application to FCC of Damage to 105.3 (WKBU/WTKL)". FCC. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WKBU
- Radio-Locator information on WKBU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WKBU