Lockett with the El Paso Chihuahuas in 2018
|New York Mets – No. 61|
|Born: May 3, 1994|
|June 1, 2018, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 16, 2019)
|Earned run average||7.96|
Lockett attended Providence School in Jacksonville, Florida. As a junior first baseman, he averaged a home run in every 5.2 at bats and posted a .468 batting average and .598 on-base percentage with 57 runs batted in. As a result, he was named the All-First Coast Baseball Player of the Year by The Florida Times-Union. As a senior in 2012, he led Providence to a state high school baseball championship. He had committed to play college baseball at South Florida as a junior.
San Diego Padres
Lockett spent 2012 with the Arizona League Padres, pitching to a 4.34 ERA in 18 2⁄3 innings. He pitched only 2 1⁄3 innings in 2013 and 10 1⁄3 innings in 2014 due to injuries. Lockett returned in 2015 and pitched for the Fort Wayne TinCaps, Tri-City Dust Devils, and AZL Padres, posting a combined 4-4 record and 4.14 ERA in 18 total games (17 starts) between the three clubs. In 2016, he played for Fort Wayne, the Lake Elsinore Storm, San Antonio Missions and El Paso Chihuahuas, compiling a combined 10-9 record, 2.96 ERA and 1.06 WHIP in 28 total games (25 starts).
The Padres added Lockett to their 40-man roster after the 2016 season. He spent 2017 with El Paso, collecting a 5-2 record and 4.39 ERA in ten starts. He missed nearly three months of the season due to a lower back strain.
On June 1, 2018, Lockett was recalled by the Padres to start that evening replacing an injured Joey Lucchesi. Lockett allowed four hits, four runs and walked five in 3 2⁄3 innings against the Cincinnati Reds, taking the loss as the Reds defeated the Padres 7-2.
New York Mets
The Padres traded Lockett to the Cleveland Indians on November 20, 2018 for minor league pitcher Ignacio Feliz. On January 6, 2019, Cleveland traded Lockett and Sam Haggerty to the New York Mets for Kevin Plawecki.
- Carlyon, Hays (June 24, 2011). "All-First Coast Baseball: Providence's Walker Lockett finds right power combination". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- Barney, Justin (July 3, 2012). "Providence standout Walker Lockett signs with Padres". The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- "All-First Coast Baseball: Providence's Walker Lockett finds right power combination". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Opening Day starter puts injuries behind him with TinCaps". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Lockett back as TinCaps' leader". The Journal Gazette. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- Sanders, Jeff. "Youth served as Padres set 40-man roster". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Walker Lockett Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- "Padres' Walker Lockett: Placed on minor-league DL". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- Justin Barney (May 31, 2018). "Providence grad Walker Lockett gets called up by Padres". www.jacksonville.com. GateHouse Media, Inc. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- John Horvath (June 2, 2018). "Lack of command plagues Walker Lockett in first MLB start". www.foxsports.com. Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- "Indians' Walker Lockett: Dealt to Cleveland". CBSSports.com. November 20, 2018.