Walnut Creek station
Westbound train at Walnut Creek station in 2018
|Location||200 Ygnacio Valley Road|
Walnut Creek, California
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| County Connection: 1, 1M, 2, 4, 5, 9, 15, 21, 25, 93X, 95X, 96X, 98X, 301, 311, 321, 601, 602, 609, 715|
|Bicycle facilities||64 lockers|
|Opened||May 21, 1973|
|Passengers (FY 2016)||7,138 exits/day|
Walnut Creek is an elevated BART station in Walnut Creek, California, on the Antioch–SFO/Millbrae line of the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system. The station is located north of downtown Walnut Creek, adjacent to Interstate 680 and near the Ygnacio Valley Road and California Boulevard arterial roads.
Due to Walnut Creek's high ridership and large catchment area, BART proposed in 2004 that the station be the center of a transit-oriented development scheme which includes 440 residential units, 8,700 sq ft (810 m2) of office space, 33,000 sq ft (3,100 m2) of retail space, and 1,373 parking spaces. A parking lot on the west side of the station closed on February 3, 2018. A 900-space parking garage was constructed in its place, which allowed other parking lots to be closed for the new development. The new garage opened on March 29, 2019.
Walnut Creek station has two side platforms with two tracks. Access to the tracks is provided by a staircase, escalator, and elevator from the mezzanine, which houses nine faregates. Sustained patronage at the station has caused it to become overcrowded; BART is planning on building a second entrance, including new faregates and platform access to relieve possible emergency hazards.
Pleasant Hill/Contra Costa Centre is a transfer point for a number of County Connection local and express routes:
- Weekday: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 15, 21, 25, 93X, 95X, 96X, 98X
- Weekend: 310, 311, 321
- Special school routes: 601, 602
- Early Bird Express: 715
All buses stop at busways on the southeast side of the station.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit District. "Monthly Ridership Reports". Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "BART Chronology January 1947 – March 2009" (PDF). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. March 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 13, 2013.
- "Walnut Creek Comprehensive Station Plan" (PDF). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. June 2004. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 20, 2010.
- "New parking garage construction on the south lot at Walnut Creek Station begins" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. January 30, 2018.
- "New South Garage at Walnut Creek Station opens 3/29" (Press release). San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. March 18, 2019.
- "Transit Stops: Walnut Creek Station" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Commission. January 25, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walnut Creek station.|